$350 Warwick. Ripoff or Not??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WarwickDavis, Mar 21, 2011.

1. WarwickDavis

WarwickDavis

Nov 24, 2010
    I just don't know about this deal, on one hand it seems kind of sketchy, on the other, I might have a great buy on my hands.

I have the opportunity to buy a Warwick Stage Streamer STD for $350.00 dollars. However the darn thing only has one pickup! Has it been moded? I've never seen this bass with only one pickup. It has 3 chrome control knobs. I'm thinking it may be a Rockbass.

It looks legit in photos, the seller claims they "Don't know bass very well."

Is this a shady situation? HELP!!

2. Can you post the pics of the bass on the thread so we can take a look? Can't help ya if we can't what you're talking about.

3. I agree we need pics, but it does sound VERY shady.

4. Ive seen them with 2 knobs, but 3 ? is it active ?

5. krutonlowend

krutonlowend

Dec 2, 2010
    +1 What he said. Any chance of getting the serial number and using Warwicks website to verify the model? Sounds too good to be true IMHO.

6. The new Rock Basses look just like "real" Warwicks. Only has Rock Bass logo over the truss rod cover.

7. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Sounds like a Rockbass to me but it is definitely worth following up on.

8. I just picked up a rock bass ( made in China) streamer f/s for about that price new, exelent bass for the money, mine has three chrome knobs but two pups, they did do a single pup at some point. The only easy way to spot them is as mentioned "rock Bass" in tiny letters on the truss rod cover and the W on the head stock is paint not inlay. But you need to be REAL close to see either. I didnt pick up on the inlay thing till I got it home. The body rounding over is different but again hard to spot.

9. When in doubt SEARCH!!!:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/price-drop-1999-warwick-streamer-std-5-$550-now-video-729860/

YouTube - 1999 warwick streamer standard 5 string demo.
    this particular bass seems to have 3 knobs but most I have seen are 2 knobs maybe the one offered to you is modded as well
    which may be a bonus! if it has the darker colored Wenge or OVangkol neck I would jump on it

its a great deal
    its German its a warwick
    what are you waiting for?

Rockbass streamers had 2 pickups with the earlier single piece bridge versions having the "strat" style input jack outlet
    the later 2010 Rockbasses have either the 3 knobs configuration or 4 knob configuration on the LX

The older German Standards were the entry level Warwicks with single piece bridges made by Schaller
    and single and dual pickup models
    the bodies were cheaper Carolena wood as opposed to Wenge and Ovangkol
    still I have heard demos and these basses sound pretty darn good and they are light too which most Warwicks aren't

10. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Yeah, this is most likely a PRE-rockbass model made in Germany. The difference is 1 pickup and the 1 piece bridge. It probably has a wenge neck.

11. dwh87

dwh87

Jul 31, 2007
    Cornwall
    I bought a 5 string streamer std II for £200 a few years ago.

They are nice basses, in my opinion the only downside is how soft the body wood is and the one piece bridge.

The wenge/ovangkol neck is a delight to play.

12. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I've seen the Streamer STD's going from $350-$500. The single PU model. Doesn't seem too impressive, but hey, it's a real 'Wick at least.

13. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I remember trying a few of these out back in the day. They were alright, but didn't seem to have the same Warwick growl that the other basses had. I think these went for about $700ish new. I ended up getting a NOS Corvette FNA 5 for the same price.

14. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
  15. WarwickDavis

WarwickDavis

Nov 24, 2010
    Thank you all for your help/insights, it is much appreciated!! I'm stopping by the seller's to check it out the day after tomorrow, I will get back to you. Thanks again!

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021