1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

350 watt cab through a 550 watt head.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pork_Chop, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Pork_Chop

Pork_Chop

May 11, 2012
    Boulder, CO USA
    Can I gig my Peavy 350 watt, 4ohm 2x10 cabinet through my 550 watt, 8 ohm Eden head? If not, suggestions for a more compatible, easily movable cab. Prefer under $500. Thanks for the input.

2. David A. Davis

David A. Davis Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    Does your Eden head have rating for 4 ohm? I'd be surprised if it didn't. you don't want to go lower in ohms than the head is rated.

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    If it's a WT550, that'll do down to 2 ohms.

(Combatable...?)

4. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Yes.

5. Pork_Chop

Pork_Chop

May 11, 2012
    Boulder, CO USA
    Compatible.

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Sure. Why would you not be able? :confused:

Main consideration is that you're going to want to be careful of your volume settings and/or low-frequency setting, so you don't blow the drivers.

A head rated at 550 watts @ 8 ohms is going to deliver substantially more than that much power @ 4 ohms. And since your cab's thermal rating is only 350 watts @ 4 ohms, the most you can expect to feed into it - in real-world application - is half that much power, or roughly 175-200 watts, maximum.

It's not going to get real loud in any event - so either be content with that fact, or get a larger 4-ohm cab, or a couple of 8-ohm cabs. :meh:

MM

7. Pork_Chop

Pork_Chop

May 11, 2012
    Boulder, CO USA
    Why? I was concerned that I would blow the speakers.

8. You could, it is up to you how hard you push the speaker cab. That is not decided by the amp or cab.

9. Pork_Chop

Pork_Chop

May 11, 2012
    Boulder, CO USA
    O.K…Let me rephrase my question. I just got hired to be the house bass player for a blues jam. There will be a lot of different people playing my equipment in a loud bar. Typical blues jam. I’ll be playing in a trio, but during the open mike there may be multiple guitar players, and occasional horns. Will the 350 watt cab be loud enough to cut through the mix? Clearly I don’t know a thing about wattage and ohms. My concern was people cranking up the volume of my 550 watt amp playing through a cab rated at 350 watts. Yes, a rudimentary question asked by a sub-rudimentary man.

10. IMO, LOUD does NOT equal a 2X10 (nomatter what the wattage rating is).

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    "loud enough"
    is there a PA? if not, it wouldn't be loud enough for me

"safe with others sitting in?"
    bad bet.

12. In my experience of loud blues jams with loud guitar players you don't have enough cab. You have plenty of amp watts. What will happen is some turkey will crank it up because it isn''t loud enough and that'll be the end of bass for the night.

Even if you had a 4x10 some ****head can blow it up on you if they boost the lows with a 5 string.

13. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    My Carvin BX500 and Avatar 2x10 do a pretty good job beating drummers to a pulp....and only at 3 on the master volume :bassist:

14. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    DownUnder: Yup.

I had some guy sitting in at a blues jam situation two weeks ago.

He had a 5 string Ibanez, missing the B string.
    It had three band eq on the bass. He had treble band mids all the way off, and bass all the way up.
    I turned all the bass off at the amp trying to get him to sound good, didn't work.

I asked him to turn bass down at his bass, and he turned the volume down.
    I said, no, the bass; on your eq.
    He just started twisting knobs, and never did figure it out; instead saying "your amp sucks."

To which I replied "it sounded great for everyone else, didn't it...want to learn how to work your eq?" and tried to show him how his bass worked....................................

15. The head is only 8 ohms? Are you sure?
    Usually the only 8 ohm heads I see are under 200w.

If other people are going to play through your stuff, I would suggest monitoring how they change the EQ, volume, and gain controls on the amp to make sure they don't blow whatever cab you'll use. With a 410 cab, (You can easily get a good one for around $350 used) just make sure they don't crank the gain and bass to 5 o' clock with a 5 string. Then, you should be fine. Rule of thumb: If the cab sounds like it's about to explode, it probably will unless you do something about it.

16. You are between a rock and a hard place at open mic sessions. You could have a rig so big the staff complained about the racket and some prick will still have to try to blow it up.

You could put your amp out of reach and use a BDDI for plugging in. Force everyone to play down to the 2x10, which for me is plenty loud for a blues jam unless the bar is really big, and then you would hopefully have a PA.

17. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    A pair of 2x10 cabinets make a versatile speaker system. A single one, not so much. Yes you can easily blow that cabinet with your amp.

18. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 and just for clarification, it's not a 350 watt cab through a 550 watt head, it's a 550 watt head through a 350 watt cab.

19. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I should have said that!! :)