$3500 for a Fender Jazz Plus signed by John Paul Jones??????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, May 8, 2004.

1. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I paid $350 for one a couple of years ago. Not a bad bass.

I would like to think this guy is dreaming, but you know what they say about suckers.
  2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I'm ready to figure out that some JPJ "fan among the fans" can be crazy enough to pay for this bass 10 times its value, just because of an autograph.
  3. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    I'm a huge JPJ fan, but im definitely not dumb enough to pay that kind of money for a $350 bass even though it does have an autograph. What would I do with it? Hang it on the wall and never touch it again? That would be a complete waste of money. If the autograph ever came off or something, I could probably sell the bass for like $300 if im lucky.
  4. "Led Zeppelin guitarist John Paul Jones"

5. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    That doesn't look 100% right to me. I have a good number of JPJ autographs, all of which have been obtained in person, and while the signature look "close", I wouldn't be willing to gamble $3500 on it! :eek: It might be perfectly legit, as signing the upper horn of a jazz bass isn't exactly like signing an LP cover of an 8X10, but I'm always extremely distrustful of ebay autograph auctions...even ones that are "supposedly" documented. All someone needs to fake this is a gold pen, a reference autograph, and a blank piece of Bad Amimals letterhead. I've seen SOOOO many rediculous immitations of Led Zeppelin autographs over the years that it borders on depressing, if not down-right sad, thinking about how many people have wasted cash on fakes that weren't even close. :bawl: It'll be an interesting auction to watch, though. :D

6. I am sooo tempted to send the seller a message letting him know how that looks. When I saw it, it was like hearing nails on a chalkboard... :rolleyes:
  7. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    they suck?