$3500 to spend on a bass.Which one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by csala, Aug 14, 2005.

1. csala

csala Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    I'm planning on dropping $3500 or so on a great 4 string fretted. Any feedback on which manufacturers to look into is appreciated. I have no preference as I've never spent this much, I'm just hoping to find an extremely inspirational instrument. Not too many frills, just a bass that is fun to play.

2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Umm... mostly any bass?

We need specifics. You can many a different instrument with 3500$. What styles of music? What features do you want? Just play a lot and find what you like. USA laklands can be found for less and are great instruments. You can find a used F and save yourself some cash. Alembics, warwicks, fenders, musicman.. just buy what you like.
  3. Oh lord the options!!! Sadowsky is a must, Nordstrand is a must, Lecompte, Fbass, Mike Lull, Celinder, Zon...just go to bass central's site and look at the bassess page...you can afford just about everything but some MTDs, Moduli, and Fodera.
  4. csala

csala Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca

A bass which is an alternative to my Carvin fretless 5 w/ flatwounds, which is my main instrument. A dark sounding bass which is versatile enough to play Dub, metal, and earthy, Mingus type bass. A ton of high end is not necessary. A bass which is NOT fender style, as I have a jazz bass. A bass with nice wood. I tried the $3300 Warwick (Thumb?) this weekend and it was very nice. So is the Pedulla, but it's a bit sweet sounding.

Hope this makes sense.

5. Id buy a StingRay 5 and a Bongo 5.
  6. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Cellinder Jazz and CB Bass
  7. Look for a used Modulus Quantum and get something else with the change.
  8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    You could probably buy a great sounding amp with the money you have left over. :cool:
  9. are you just bragging that you have $3500 of mad money to throw away...because if you don't have a bass picked out yet, how in tarnation do you know that you are going to spend $3500????

buy a nice $800 - $1000 bass and send the remaining $2500 -$2700 to feed some starving children in Africa or something. In the end, you'll probably be more satisfied.
  10. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Lets try to be a little more vague next time, huh?

11. bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Sounds like a Rob Allen might be worth looking into for you. They seem to fit the description of the type of sound you're after.

12. Let's try to be less of an @*$ and a little easier on the new people , geez :rolleyes:
  13. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    The people that know me know my comment was completly sarcastic. I'd try to help him, but he has every option available to him - he has to do the work and go out and try as many basses as he can and find "his".

IMO, IME, FWIW, My $0.02, Just kididng, whatever.

14. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, for 3500, you can buy just about anything you could want. I would look for a bartolini equipped boutique bass of some sort (maybe used...), and then buy a 115 or 215 cab for dark and heavy stuff.
  15. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
  16. Very valid point. With that kind of money I'd be out and about trying tons of stuff and talking to tons of luthiers, but hey...
  17. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Just don't go to Ed Roman's place... Please...

Why don't we see what wishnevsky can do with 3500?????
  18. Do they sell Wal's at Walmart? :bag:

Actually - Yes, please. I'd like a Wal.