350watt budget head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matteran, May 26, 2005.

1. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Hi, A friend of mine is going to buy an Avatar 2x10, and asked about a head to go with it. I bought a Crate bt350 off ebay a while ago for around 200 dollars, and it's a great amp for the price. I love the tube pre-amp. And 350watts is definitly enough power. So I suggested the same thing. However, they are pretty rare on ebay, so what would you suggest that is good, same power rating, and around the same price?
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    For a little more, you can get the Ashdown Mag in the special deal from Avatar. That would be an awesome head.
  3. +1!

or.. ebay search on "trace elliot" :p :D mmm green...
  4. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    The Hartke 3500 beats the Ashdown in two important departaments: loudness and reliability. If you like hi-fi sounds, you will also prefer the Hartke. In fact, if you change the factory 12AX7 tube for any decent JJ or EHX, it also clearly kick's the MAG's a$$ in tone for vintage lovers (although you can't get it to distort -in the MAG you CAN-). I had the chance to compare and the ABM300EVOII (suposedly a more "professional" line) almost maxed can't compete with the 3500 with the master at 3 o'clock. God, I couldn't hate A$$downs more!!!! Toys!!!!

5. And I couldn't disagree with you more. ;) ;)

+1 for the Ashdown.
  6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I will agree with Andruca on the Hartke over the Ashdown MAG as long as he is talking older Hartke.

My old 3500 (not HA3500) was a real workhorse. It had plenty of power and gave me a nice tone for the rock/metal stuff I was playing at the time. I had easily over a 1000 hours of practice and over 40 gigs on that head without one problem.

BTW, one of our members is selling an early '90s version in the classifieds for $300. Here is the ad:Hartke 3500

Also, the low wattage (200-250 watts )Trace Elliot amps can normally be had for real decent prices. Not only would he get killer tone but a 250 watt Trace will have more volume than some 500 watt heads.
  7. Could always get a second hand peavey, loud and reliable as hell :)
  8. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Yes, I'm refering to that model, not the HA but the old mosfet ones. By the way, the old Peavey Mark line of heads is absolutely nice and can be got cheap these days.

9. Im really loving my SWR basic 350 I just got as a back up head, used for $270. I would say it gets plenty loud, although I may have been pushing it at practice the other night? Volume was at 2 to 3 o'clock. It wasnt getting hot so I think its Ok to run it at this level for extended periods? Any other thoughts on this? But I will say this head cuts throug!
  10. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    What's different about the new Hartkes internally?

I tried a new HA3500, and I thought it was no where near as loud as the old rackmount versions.
  11. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Peavey Firebass for price and power I don't think it can be beat.
  12. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

There is also a member with a GK 400 rbiii for sale, for about 300 delivered. That is a sweet little unit!
  13. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    The new hartke's don't use MOSFET in the power section. The preamp's don't quite sound the same to me either. Have an old MOSFET head and bought a new one a while back. I a/b'd the two and took back the new one after about 20 or so minutes of playing with it. Tried hooking the pre's to each other via the effects loop and even noticed a slight difference there (with the older model sounding better to me). The differing power sections were what really set the two apart when I tried them out however.

Note: I am willing to concede that the preamps may be virtually the same and I was just not being impartial after hearing the wimpy power section on the HA.
  14. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Older Hartke's do sound worlds better than the new HA series. Look for the Transient Attack on the front for the older good sounding amps.
  15. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    The old ones also say "Hartke Mosfet" whereas the newer ones read "HA3500"