1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

35in 5-string with <17mm spacing: help me find one please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hgregs, May 7, 2010.

1. hgregs

hgregs

Sep 25, 2008
    ct/ny border
    i have a modulus quantum 5, which has these measurements:
    35mm scale, 17mm string spacing (1.85" at nut, and 2,75" at the last fret)

are there any other 5-strings out there which are 35" scale and <=17mm string spacing?

if not, is there a big difference between a 34in B string, and 35in B-string. i use my b-sting a lot, and can't imagine it being more floppy.

i've exhausted this thread, and still at a loss...
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=624806&highlight=narrow+string

2. Spector NS 5 string basses are 17mm string spacing and 35" scale.

3. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    All Spector 5ers, from the Legends to the Euros to the NS5, are 35" scale and 17mm spacing.

Scale length is one factor that determines stiffness of the low B, but there are many others. It is, indeed, quite possible for a 34" scale 5-string to have a non-floppy low B string. But, it's going to be expensive in most cases. String choice has a lot to do with it as well.

4. The B debate is one that will never end. One thing to remember is that there are amazing 34" scale basses, but I generally think it takes a very well made bass to sound about like usual 35" scale basses. Keep in mind, the definition of a good low B and ears may vary, sometimes a lot. I've heard plenty people tune a .105E to B and call it good, which isn't something I'd ever do.......

There is also a plethora of string spacing threads and debates, but I've found it's not a bad thing to be flexible to handle the different string spacings on the market. I have a 17mm 6 string and a 18.5mm 6 string and I really don't notice that much of a difference.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I think the Peavey Cirrus 5 is 17mm or 17.5mm.

6. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    It is hard to tell the difference, but my Cirrus feels slightly wider spaced than the Spectors I used to own and not to different from the EBMM Bongo I've owned, which makes me think the Cirrus is probably 17.5mm. However, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that its 17mm. Also, the spacing one the Cirrus is adjustable which means, even if it is 17.5mm, you can probably adjust the spacing down to 17mm.

7. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    Try ibanez's 5 strings. Their btb and SR series basses have a string spacing of just under 17mm.(about 16.5mm)

8. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    35" is not required for a good B. Period. That has been illustrated by many examples.

For 17mm 5-string, check out a Zon. My B-string kills small rodents.

9. wavey davey

wavey davey

Feb 8, 2004
    Guernsey
    You don't mention budget, but Tom Clement would build you one, probably for less than you think....

And the 5 banger he built me is 34" and the B is ma-hoo-sive!!

10. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Schecter has somewhere between 16.5mm and 17mm. I think it feels slightly smaller than my Spector Legend's.

I believe most 35" scale ESP basses have it as well.

As far as 5-strings are concerned, I'd think that an overwhelming majority of them have 17-17.5mm spacing.

11. hgregs

hgregs

Sep 25, 2008
    ct/ny border
    thanks all who've replied

budget - i'm considering alembics and dingwalls, so budget isn't much of a constraint. the alembics are 34in scale, with some models having narrow spacing. dingwall only makes one model with 17mm string spacing (the rest are 18mm).

i looked at the ibanez, and they seem great for the $$, but the btb is wider than 17mm, while the sr is 34in scale.

hard to get a real # on those cirrus basses - ed friedland did a review of a 6er, and his string spacing was 18-19mm. so i assumed the 5ers were also the same.

those custom clements are nicely priced. was hoping to find something used or off-the-rack.

so far the moral of the story is don't be afraid of 34in? i'll have to check some out.

12. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
  13. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    Definitely don't be afraid of 34, some great 34" basses have amazing low B strings.

14. hgregs

hgregs

Sep 25, 2008
    ct/ny border
    oh yeah... and thanks for the heads-up on the shecters and spectors.

15. Some do, but some don't. (USA) Curbows are nothing short of amazing in 34" scale, but not all basses have that sort of clarity.

16. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    laklands, or a Zon Sonus 3/5 perhaps ?

17. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    G.Gould.... Founder of Modulus. 35" & 17.5 mm spacing. Nice looking basses, I actually prefer the body shape to the Modulus.

They have some at the Bass Place site, www.thebassplace.com

18. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    Looks nice.

19. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    If the $$ isn't the prob, i'd consider a USA Spector.

20. Wrong; only the SR series has that small a spacing. The BTB has wider spaing (which is why I dont ike them)