Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

36" Scale

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Toodles, May 18, 2001.

1. I'm looking for a bass with a 36" scale or longer. Are there any good four strings in this range or will I most likely have to get a custom or settle for something smaller?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Toodles - Have you checked out Dingwalls? They have a unique approach towards scale length that makes a lot of sense to me. You know how the lower strings on a piano get longer? That's their concept. Their E's are actually something like 36 1/4". Check `em out -

www.dingwallguitars.com/voodoo.html

3. If you're looking for a 4-string with a 36" scale, you'd have to go custom. I don't know of any production 4's with a 36" scale. The only one I've ever seen on the Web was a Fodera. Carl Thompson is also making 36" scale 4's, but in both cases there, you're talking major $$.
    You could try a custom builder like Dave Pushic, http://www.dpcustom.com
    His basses aren't nearly as expensive.

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Have a check at Taylor, I believe they make one, not shure about no of strings.
    BTW, make it a big check....

5. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Why do you want a four string with a 36" scale? It is not really necessary.

6. DP Custom

DP Custom DP Custom Basses

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA

unless:
    1. You have big hands and want more space in the upper registers

2. you are using an alternate tuning

:)

Dave P.

7. Upright basses have a 41" or 42" scale. Are you going to tell our doghouse-driving friends that they don't need anything more than 34"?

8. rickbass

Jaco only needed 34". :D

9. Yeah, but Stanley only needed 30.75"!

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I think Tune does the longscale 36" thing with their five-strings. Check at www.bassalone.com. They're the exclusive distributors in the US for Tune.

11. Isn't Tune out of bizniz?

12. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    They were...now they're back.

13. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Though he made extensive use of 41 ;)

14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    After being an owner of a 36" scale Tune, I gotta say, for tone, its #1 (the scale, that is). The strings just ring and vibrate completely different in my hands than on any other bass I've ever played. And I've played a lot.

However, unless you have big hands and play music where tone is absolutely paramount, you probably shouldn't venture here. Strings become expensive and few in number, and reaches close to the nut are just a bitch. And I have huge hands.

Still can't believe I sold my Tune...best bass I ever owned.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    So why'd you part with it?;)

16. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    No, Ricky, pleeease! :(

17. rickbass

Suburban - Sorry if you missed the sarcasm on my twist of the classic, "only needed 4," rant.

18. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Biiiiig hand injury back in October or so. I remember i made a big thread about it. My hand/thumb just couldn't handle the super long scale + full spacing + heavy neck. It was either go back to 5 strings, or get a graphite necked 6. I opted for a fretless.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I was hoping that "wasn't" the reason. Hope all is well.

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey Angus...speaking of former Gear of yours, you got any pics of your gear? Old and new? I'd like to see what you're playing (as opposed to just knowing)