Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

36" strings for sixer?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by newbass, Nov 30, 2002.

1. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Hello! I am very interesting in getting into the extended range (36") bass club pretty soon. As you can tell from the title I want a six string, and I hope to be ordering one from DP (comments welcome) within the next year. While I would like to know your thoughts on extended scale instruments (please don't say anything about comfort, I have big hands), I mainly want to know where could I find six string 36" strings. The only ones I have found so far are the Anthony Jackson Fodera's, which I'm sure would be good. Please help me! Thanks in advance!!!

2. Hi:
    Extended scale=bighands...Gosh I hope not.
    I have average sized hands. What you'll find when playing long scales is your technique changes, you rotate more at the elbow or wrist to reach the fret spans, and secondly you'll use your pinky alot of to fret.

I have a Dingwall w/ a 37" scale B string, pretty long. I use either Dingwall string or DRs, they make extralongs. I think most string sets will accomadate up to 36" but you won't have much wrapping aroun the post. i was able to get a Ken smith Burner medium set on my Dingwall (no B of course) but E-G was fine-just one wrap around the posts thou.
    You can read about long scale strings here

3. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks for the reply. Are those extra long strings 35" or 36"?

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i'm pretty sure thomastik-infeld makes strings in that length, as well...

5. newbass-
    the lo riders are 40" long, its their extra longs, check out that thread i attached.
    frank