Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

36" STRINGS ON 34" SCALE BASS

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by luknfur, Mar 14, 2004.

1. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Long story but did this with a set of TI jazz flats. Was wondering if any of you WAVEFORM fanatics have any feedback on any change in affect on string vibration that would occur from such a manuever, as opposed to using 34" scale strings.

I ask because I originally strung a Lightwave with 34" scale TI's and couldn't stand the results so threw on some Rotosound tapewounds and fought them for months before I canned them. It's been about a year since the original stringing but I can't believe I'd have pulled those TI 34's off initially if they sounded like these 36's. The differences in the gauge between the two is neglible. Has anybody had or heard of a similar experience swapping string scales or know any good reason why there may be something to this?

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The gauge will make a difference. The construction will make a difference. The length of the string won't. You still have the same length from to tuner to bridge and the same length from nut to saddle.

3. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I bought super long scale (36-38") D'addario Prisms for my 34" scale Sukop and it didn't make no difference at all, I was a bit apprehensive because of the B string but it turned out good after all.