Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan L., Oct 12, 2000.

1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    What are some companies that manufacture 36" scale basses. I know that Carl Thompson does, but I am wondering if there are any offered that are maybe a little more affordable and easier to get ahold of.

2. I know of one other company, but they will charge you a lot too. PRS!!! They are on a 36" scale, but you said you wanted something a bit cheaper. I think you're best bet would be to go to Conklin and have Bill make you a custom bass on that scale. At least email him and ask for an estimate on the price for a 36" scale bass, worst possible situation, you don't get one from him, but who knows, the price may be good, email the man. :D
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There is currently no production bass that long of a scale, so you're talking BIG BUCKS.

Although, if the current longer scale vogue continues, look for 41" scales in a year or 2. :rolleyes:
  4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Cookie, a Thompson would be CHEAPER than a Conklin.

Tune makes lots of basses with a 36" scale. Im not exactly sure how to get ahold of one, they are somewhat rare here, but if you contact Bass NW, im sure they could contact them for you, or find some way to. They are OUTSTANDING basses. You might be able to find some used, as they used to be sold here, a couple years back.

Hey, i know there are some production 36" scale basses, but i cant think of them right now. There are plenty of used customs around that you could get, you just have to check it out. For instance, there is a Schack ive played at Bass NW, a fretless 5, with a 36", and its freaking incredible!!! Interesting (and very very cool) pickups! Its a German company, they mainly make custom instruments. Just check places like http://www.bassnw.com and http://www.bassalone.com, and other places. They should have something. If not, Bone (contact them through bass alone) can make you a custom instruments that would not cost that much, and you could get the custom scale. You just gotta search around!

I hope that helps! 36" IS the magical scale!
  5. There's always the Dingwall fanned fret basses.. 37" at the B, 34" at the G.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Overwater - who are based in Carlisle in England - were one of the first companies to make 36" scale basses.
  7. I don't know about that, Angus. Carl's basic model set-neck 4-string is going for upwards of $3500 right now, with a long wait. I did the "design your own bass" on the Conklin website, and they quoted me $2600.. and that was with some options added.
  8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Dave, i was talking for a full custom. And geez, my quote was like $9800 for mine! :D Anyway, if you look at their custom page, it says "All instruments start at $3600", so , i dont know, its a debate!

Hey, hows the CT coming anyway, Dave? Whats going on with it?
  9. Oh, full custom! Forget what I said, then. $9800.. [​IMG]
    The CT is still in the shop.. the guy is waiting for DiMarzio to send him the pickup. He wants to do all the work at once.. so I wait.
  10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    The Fodera Anthony Jackson bass is a 36in. scale. I saw one in a shop in Japan but I didn't dare play it because if I did I would really want it. Don't know how much it would cost but I bet its expensive.
  11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    $9800?? what did you want on it. none of _mine_ ever cost that much. :D
  12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I dont know what i wanted on it! BUT, i remember it wasnt THAT exotic! But i know it had a 36" scale! So i was kind of surprised by that! And John, NONE of your basses where in the Conklin catalog! (Except one on the cover that COULD have been yours) Whats up with that? Why havent you bought that 8 string fanned fretless bass? Eh? EH? :D
  13. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Although also a custom bass, I beleive Elrick has a 36" scale as a standard option. Speaking of scale length, I had the opportunity to tryout a Moses Vertical Jump Bass, which is essentially a "Steinberger" shaped electric with a string bass' 42" scale. You actually wear it. See http://www.mosesgraphite.com. I tried the fretted model, and it was actually pretty cool. I had custom 42" Fodera roundwounds on it and the B string was pretty amazing. I might be getting a fretless version. And they now offer a 35" scale version if you're a wuss. ;)
  14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Jerzy Drozd and Merleux are two other brands that offer 36" as a standard option.

And those Moses VJ basses are awesome! I saw them on Bass NW site awhile ago. Looks pretty damn cool! I didnt know they made a fretted version though! Thats cool! Hey, were the strings flatwound or roundwound? Hehe, roundwound upright strings...thatd be cool! Ive always wondered why they dont have roundwound upright strings.
  15. Something that comes to mind when I see guys looking for 36" scale basses is I think they had better play one before getting a GAS attack over one. What I mean is that one of the major slams against Alembic is that in a normal playing position, it gets VERY difficult to work in the first position for a lot of people. You literally have to pull the bass back across your body to be able to fret the F (four string of course). I know this is due to the smaller body patterns of Alembics but the net result is the same. Given the wide range of body styles these makers are coming up with, I would certainly do my homework before committing to such an expensive experiment.

Of course, if you're 6'5" and have arms like Shaquille O'Neal, you probably need something this long really bad :)
  16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I wasn't getting a GAS attack over them, I was simply curious about them. And I am 6'4", so I think that my arms might be long enough to reach.
    Thanks for all the info. I will check some of these out.
    Looks like no matter what, the cost will be very high.
  17. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    OK. anyone willing to spend 9800 smackers on a peice of wood is a little too obsessed. Buy a car, and with the extra $$$ buy a gun and shoot yourself for even thinking of spendin that much on a friggin bass! geeez
  18. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000

hey RL311

check BassNorthwest site (www.bassnw.com) they got a used bass called David King D Type bass, it's a 36' scale headless with laminated neckthru design (zebrawood wings with wenge and purple heart neck), EMG pups and preamp, it looks beautiful and it only cost 1499$ so I guess the retail for it when it was new was probably more than twice.
    only downside is I never heard of them so can't tell how good are they but they surely look cool and well built.

if anyone tried one maybe they can share their impressions with everyone on thie thread.
  19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This is kind of funny, as I read it just after going to a link on Double Bass shops that I got from the "DB side".
    Try this link :

Th key quote here is : "On offer in The Contrabass Shoppe is a truly mouth-watering international selection of fine Italian, English, French and German instruments with a price range starting at about £5,000 and rising to investment quality instruments in the £60,000 region." (UK £ - pounds sterling)

Now £5,000 is probably equivalent to more than $9,800 allowing for exchange rates and import tax etc. So the cheapest double bass this shop is offering is more than that and I have no idea what you would do then, to someone who paid £60,000 for a "piece of wood" like that! ;)