Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

38" scale bass strings.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by toonman, Mar 24, 2005.

1. I am building a 38" scale bass with the strings going through the body. Anyone know where I can find super long scale strings. I thought of carl thompson strings but dont know how to get them.
    thanks

2. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    Try these guys.....They seem to have about every string you can think of......I have bought from them and their service was always excellent.

http://www.juststrings.com/

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Ritter sells some very long strings for use on their Jupiter model. Worth a query.

4. Carl Thompson sells long strings (I don't know if he sells direct, though).

5. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Yep. He no longer takes orders for basses, but strings he does. Depending on how many strings your bass is (and I do hope it's a sixer, because I would like to borrow some numbers from you if it is), it can cost from $30 to about $50.

6. It is going to be a 6 string. What measurements do you need? I will try some of carls strings. Anybody know what strings claypool uses?

7. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    He has no 38" scale instrument, but he uses (at least on the 4s) Dean Markley. I'm not a huge Dean Markley fan, so I'd look into Elixir or DR (two of my favorites). I know that for at least the six-string fretted, he either uses or used Carl's strings. I don't know about the legendary "Rainbow Bass."

As for measurements, I'd kind of like to know the length and width of the body blank(s) and the neck pieces, the truss rod info, and the width of the fingerboard at both nut and heel. That is, if it's not an utter inconvenience to you. Thanks.