Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

$380 price range what to get

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sk8terguy316, Apr 8, 2004.

1. I was thinking a Fender Standard Precision or Ibanez srp400 but I didn't know I'd like to ask you any Bass guitar in that price range $380 being the highest I could go should i get? thank you for your help i now own a charvel but it's crappy I dont know the model no

I play rock and some blues mostly rock

2. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I say go with a Mexican Fender Precision or Jazz bro,no way to go wrong there. -Luke

3. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    what style of music do you play? that will help narrow down the choices.

4. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    MIM (made in Mexico) Fender Jazz Bass

5. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    :bassist: Yup, a MIM P or Jazz Fender, that's what you should get.

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Ugh.. Don't go Ibanez.. Those basses stunt your hand adaptation. I used to have an Ergodyne, and after I sold it and played basses with "Normal" size fret spacings, bass playing turned into hell. I was missing frets, and was not able to adapt.. I'm all fixed now, but it took work :p. Go with the fender.

7. I'll cast another vote for a Mexican aka Standard Fender P or J. They recently switched from using Poplar to Alder for the Standard basses.

I have a sweet American P for my main bass, but I just picked up a MIM J for my #2. Unbelievable bass for the price. I paid $360.

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Maybe an active Schecter if you look enough.

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    somebody's going to say it eventually, might as well be me....

www.rondomusic.com

any bass on that site is better than your above 2 choices. my opinion and the opinion of many others. there's a huge thread about them here, you can search for it or someone else will post it.

also - and once again only my opinion - i think ibanez basses are like a disease. when people buy them as they're first basses they seem to gravitate towards them (the more expensive ones) later in their bass life, and i think they are the most lifeless sounding basses on the market. i don't know what it is about them but i've never yet seen a live club band where someone had an ibanez, where the bass cut through the mix or sounded like anything i'd ever be proud of. they seem to lack cut, bottom and balls (for lack of a better word). they're the only basses i truly dislike and i'm glad i never got hooked on them. some of them look really cool and the price seems right for the electronics and stuff - but i don't know. something seems terribly amiss.

10. my ibanez edb500 sounds absolutly killer through my randall bass 500 head and older 410 hartke cab. i can send you some sound clips if you want... if you want a soundclip drop me a message on aim my sn is cobrasneverdie

11. with a Fender. Period. Play both P & J if you can, and let your hands & ears make the choice on what to buy.
    Schecters & Spectors can be had in your price range too.

12. BUY USED! you can get some killer stuff for that price:

peavey g-bass
    make this guy an offer before i do... i really loved the g-bass i used to have but it was damaged and i had to send it back... i want another one but im waiting until i move before i buy any more gear... graphite neck, 18 volts, killer tone... you simply cant go wrong at that price

you can also pick up a used spector ns2000 neck thru for that price or a little bit more... i had a few of them and they are excellent basses

theres also the cort curbow basses which people seem to like, only get one with the bartolini pickup / preamp

washburn xb-900 and xb-920 are supposed to be excellent and they can be had cheap because washburns brand name isnt highly thought of because of a lot of their low end crap

i know theres a few more but i cant think of them now, any of the above should be excellent compared to what you would get for a new bass... out of all of those id probably pick the g-bass just because of the graphite, the electronics and the awesome neck that felt perfect to me... the fact that you could probably get it from the link above for $300 shipped with hardshell case doesnt hurt either

13. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    try out the Yamaha Nathan East budget models.

14. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    A Yamaha RBX-774 with enough left over for a pro setup, strings of your choice, and a nice meal out. :D

15. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    i was actually thinking of this one my self, but can u get good sounding slapping and poping with it? it looks really metal headish, id go up to guitar center to play it but i cant play, im a fairly ppor guy so i cant just toss money away, can i can as much input on this one?

i was also thinking about this one... Brice HVB-600 any body have any input on it? :)

16. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    If you can get an active Spector for under $400.00 that would be my overall pick, a Schecter would be second. Yamaha's, or Ibenez sorry not for me, to tinny.

17. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I would definatley go after the Yamaha-they are GREAT basses, and a steal at $249. Or you could get 3 SX's- A Jazz, a P, and a fretless Jazz.