Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

39" scale bass guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by angelopb, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Has anyone ever played a knucklehead quake bass. I am not fond of neck-through maple bodies, but the idea of having a bass than can hit 20hz is intriguing. They have one for sale for like 1,700.

I am interested in the upcoming thunder line, based off the quake.

http://www.knuckleguitarworks.com/

2. Bloody

Bloody

Aug 13, 2004
    Everett WA
    I am currently using the Summer '04 NAMM Green Jewel Quake for MTF's Upcoming album, "New Life". All I can say is WOW! This thing is sensitive, I have had no problems achieving superior tones and a great recording, and that is just plugging directcly into the board! No pre amps, no compressors, no bull****. At $1700 this bass outperforms basses costing 3x as much. The sustain from this thing resembles a Grand Piano, throaty and bright, in just the right spot. It cuts through the mix like a buzz saw and just keeps pumping out that fat Knuckle low end.
    Pay the price to own the best, you won't regret it...

3. Check out basstasters.com. I am pretty sure there are some sound clips of one there. They seem like a neat idea, but I bet it would take some serious amplification to get the full potential out of one.

4. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Basstasters: http://basstasters.com/basses/knuckle6.htm

Seriously great basses, and not just because they go low. Definitely worth a listen, and at $1700, a STEAL.

About amplification, they say the basses sound like the voice of God through Accugroove, but they sounded amazing through my EA rig too, cut through the mix like nothing I've ever heard before.

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Yep, I played several at the last NAMM show.. Incredible instruments!!!

Edit: Let me add that I got to play them through a full AccuGroove stack; El Whappo and Whappo Grande and it did sound like the voice of God!!!

:eek:

Took my inards a couple of days to recupe!!!! It made me feel all funny inside!!

:hyper:

6. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
  7. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    *sighs* Just when I thought I had my G.A.S under control.... and I just talked myself out of getting a Dingwall Afterburner....... :meh: Maybe I should ban myself from this forum. :eyebrow:

8. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    I am using a black 5 string right now, preparing to make a CD of samples of the bass.

I love this thing!

Knuckle builds a great high quality instrument!

9. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    I met Skip on another bass forum and we ended up meeting at BassNW in Seattle and he brought a Quake bass in for me to try. WOW!~ (and that is an understatement). Before I played his bass I thought that a 39 inch scale would be unmanagable but I was surprised who quickly I adapted to the increased lenght. Very nicely built basses and probably the ulitmate in the ultra-low end. Amazing how short my 37 inch scale Dingwall B string seemed after playing a 39 inch scale. :)

10. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    I do love playing either the Knuckle 5 or my G BEE C 9...

and then picking up my BEE 3 string

!

the BEE 3 is 33" scale...

11. Man, i thought my 36" scale was the bomb, then Dingwalls came out with a 37" B. Now the Knuckle with 39". Voice of God? Put me in for one,

Do they have wood options, e.g., alder + maple bolted neck? What is up with the new line that is coming out besides the quake? How is the 6 strung? F#-B-E-A-D-G?

12. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I can't say I'm convinced. The sound sampls provided sure sound just like any of my 35"ers tuned that low, floppy and without voice... You'd think being recorded direct wouldn't have an effect on frequency response. Granted mp3 compression can suck out a lot of lows, but I heard little voice or response through my monitor sub on the examples given.

Troll

13. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Try it through headphones instead then. Your computer speakers are definitely not producing what's there.

14. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    How hard is the thing on your wrist at the first fret? Looking at the length of the neck and the width at the nut, I'm wondering how in the hell this thing couldn't cause serious wrist fatigue!

15. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    It's shocking - but it really doesn't. The displacement comes across more in the right hand than the left, so the shift on the left hand isn't bad at all! I couldn't believe how easy it was to play when I took it to practice.

16. Makes 34" scale basses feel like a toy, I would imagine. I have not played a 5 or 6 in a 34" scale that looked right or felt right. the necks are to fat and stubby and the lows, to my ears, are floppy.

On my 36" I just position th ebass more to my right so I maintian left hand dexterity. It is easier to stretch your right (plucking) hand out than it is your left. Of course, if you are going to play bass like a chimpanzee with it straped down to your knees, aint no way you are going to reach.

Although a Rickenbacker looks awesome played that way. and with a mere 33.3" scale, is do-able.

17. Skips

Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    I've played quite a few of them, first about 2 or 3 years ago, and then all the NAMM lot this summer.
    Loved them all.
    The most suprising thing about them is the way that they really don't feel that big.
    They don't make playing regular basses feel like a toy--they feel very similar. Takes no time to switch from one to a 34.
    They sound and look incredible. The finishes are some of the best I've ever seen.
    The sound is clear and pure, if you can imagine those terms applied to sound. Not coloured.
    They're way out of my budget, but otherwise I'd have bought one.

18. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    That was my concern as well.............before I played one. Really there is much less difference than you would think. It felt pretty normal to play a 39 inch scale after only a few minutes.

19. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Sounds great but, GOOD GOD....any chance of changing that headstock? That is one of the UGLIEST I've ever seen (next to a Linc Luthier headstock).:spit:

20. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    No way man, I DIG the headstock. It's tough lookin'