1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

$395 e-bay DB= scam?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Bassman316, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    Hey guys.... here's what I've got. Same as it's been for a long time, I've been curious about putting a foot into the world of double bass, and at this point I enjoy poking around the internet since I'm currently trying to save up enough money for my first DB. However, each time I'm on e-Bay having a look around, I see numerous double basses for $395. What is the deal with that? I mean this isn't just the bass itself, these people usually throw in a bow, an extra set of strings, and a bag. I haven't even remotely considered looking into picking one of these things up, so it's not like I'm hot on buying one. Just wanting to know if anyone knows what the deal is with these things, because there sure are a lot of them!!:confused:

2. quenoil

quenoil

Jan 20, 2007
    Minnesota
    There is just no way its not a piece of junk. The extra strings are junk. The whole package. This is not the droid you're looking for.

3. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    :D

Well put!

4. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I've been looking for several months, too. Been borrowing a luthier friend's self-built upright since March and loving it. From what I have read, anything under $1500 is not going to be adequate even as a beginner upright.

5. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    I've always thought that perhaps an Upton Standard was a decent way to go in my case... $1700. I also haven't completely ruled out renting a bass and seeing if it's something I really want to get into. I've read that is a good avenue to take because evidently there's a lot of people like me who have played electric for a long time and want to cross over, but after playing find it's not as much their cup of tea as they thought it was going to be.

6. Start saving for a decent reputable bass. The instrument can make or break your future as a bassist. A good bass with a proper set-up is essential.

7. us_soccer

us_soccer

May 16, 2007
    upstate ny
    This might be true for a new upright, but if you're willing to look at some used basses (even many in pretty good condition), you can often get a good deal.

I recently started and got a Shen SB 100 for $1,000. It was 3years old, but in very good condition.

8. Scam? Not really. Nice bass? Probably not. Some folks get lucky and end up with one that stays in one piece for a while. Most do not. You're taking a gamble. You get what you pay for. At the very least, you'll need a setup, a new bridge, and a new set of strings, bringing the cost up closer to $1000. Better to try before you buy.

9. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Indeed, and after you've spent that $1000, you'll still likely have a very poorly built, poor-sounding BSO (Bass-shaped object). It's much wiser to begin by buying a reputable instrument. If purchased from a reputable luthier, such instruments are usually delivered with fine setups.

10. It seems like a huge gamble, you should check out other places, like craigslist, and see what they have. I just sold one of my old basses on craigslist, and that worked out very well, it was a good beginner bass. But you should see if you can play on a bass before you buy it. I wouldn't recommend buying it over the internet, and I bet there is something local you can check out.

11. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
  12. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    it's probably not a "scam" per se, but it'll probably implode on itself within a week of you getting it.

13. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Not if you keep the strings loose and use it as a planter. :)