399 euros? is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by emielow, Mar 18, 2004.

1. emielow

Jan 18, 2004

in a large store in germany (www.musikproduktiv.de) can you buy this one for 399,- euro

can it be something for the money?

(and for the idea :hyper: )
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's certainly "something" - but as I am a firm believer in the principle of "you get what you pay for" - I would think it would be - very little of something! ;)
  3. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Translation: What's the value of a BSO (bass shaped object) ? Is this BSO worth the money ?

Now, the good questions when you buy a bass are: how does it sound ? Is it playable ? How long would it last ?

An anecdote: Yesterday I wanted to inquire about a snare dm for my kid and went to that store where a Gewa with a "massiv" (carved) top is on display. The thing was broken at the heel : that one did not hold the tension of the strings ! Imagine if this s**t happens once you've buyed the BSO ! :crying:
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Chalk up one more advantage of a solid-bodied EUB!! :D
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Certainly. Some things that it could be include but are not limited to:

1. A prop in a theater production. From several feet away, it looks a lot like a bass.

2. A lovely addition to your home decor. I get several comments from new visitors to my home about how nice my bass looks with our leather soda and the sort of rustic international decor of our great room. That something may indeed spark the same reaction from your guests.

3. An exercise machine. I am certain the you could build both strength and dexterity attempting to play it. Although combining such effort with such futile results may leave you exercised, after several months of frustration, you may need to be exorcised.

4. A sled. It might be difficult to guide, but I am certain that the rounded back combined with the 1/4" thick plasticoat finish would offer minimal friction. On a properly selected hill, I am sure a good time would be had by all.

5. A pingpong paddle. I know this is a stretch as obviously it would be difficult to manipulate quickly. But on the upside, it would also be difficult to miss.

Seriously, there is great link in the Newbies thread that offers a fairly lengthy discussion on VERY inexpensive basses and the perils associated with them. You should give it a read.

The Cliffs version is this:

1. You may or may not be able to get it to play and/or sound like a bass.

2. In any case, making it play and/or sound like a bass will cost as much or more than you originally spent for it, yet it will still have little or no resale value should you choose to upgrade.

3. They are much more likely to fail.
  6. Hi Emielow, you know i was faced with the same choice as you a few weeks ago when i was looking for my first UDB. I found another similar priced DB in Germany-

Looks pretty, but as some of the forum members mentioned it did'nt have a solid top or even a real ebony finger board so it was likely just a show piece, 'Art Decor'. I decided to spend just a couple of hundred pounds more and get something a little more substancial. I still ended up buying a chinese bass but it was a better made one, with a solid carved spruce top and ebony finger board. I bought a Paesold 3/4 model. Getting some eurosonic strings for it next week and this will hopefully allow the botom end to come out a bit more as well as a pro set up. Sure is a well made thing and I am happy with it.

My friend aquired a DB for nothing, it had been in a road accident about 30 years ago and ended up in 4 pieces, some one glued it back together lost interest in it and give it away to my friends work mate who subsequently stored it for a number of years in his garage. The point of all this rambling is my friend ended up with the bass and brought it round for me to have a look at ( not that i know the first thing about them!) What amazed me about this piece of ugly junk was its ability to fill a room with 'low' end bass i mean really fill a room, the strings were dead, it has cracks every where on it, the bridge looks like something my child could have made and yet the sound is quite incredible. I'm thinking better than my bass but why? Just does'nt add up :meh:
  7. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Good story, Tenor. That's exactly why this forum keeps pounding over and over that you can't judge a bass from pics, you got to play the thing (the one you're gonna get, not another one of the same model), and have enough experience for a proper evaluation, or to bring along someone with such an experience.

Another factor is that a new bass has to be played in long enough before it reveals its true voice. That's difficult to evaluate and gives lots of slack to the sales person, like: "That bass is so well constructed it's got to sound good, just play it long enough..." . That's why I favour used basses over new ones. Beware of BSOs.
  8. The question I would ask you is, how, or why, would a company sell a new URB for 399 euros, when the market prices on them are 3-4 times higher? Are they just very generous? Aren't in business to make money? IMO, there is only answer, they are made with inferior wood, and workmanship, fingerboards painted, necks not centered, etc.
  9. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Is it worth 399 Euros? Depends. How long will it burn?