Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

3d graphics cards... help me out here gamers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hateater, Jun 25, 2004.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I got a pretty crappy video graphics card today. It is a Raedon 7000. I didn't do much research before hand, but I thought this might handle everything. Wrong... wrong- wrong.

I am looking for what would be best to run games like the Battlefield series on. I have around 50 bucks i can throw away on a graphics card on ebay... which one do i get?

2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
  3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Geforce3?

4. One of the best cards you can get right now is a Radeon 9800 the OEM with 256mb vram is outstanding. The newest is an XT model that goes for about $450 :eek: - it's one of the tops right now in the gaming card market. That's a little on the steep side for you :smug:, look at Radeon 9700s. They can be had now for about $100 (maybe 50 if you're real lucky) and are still a very good card. Anything from VisionTek is generally pretty good too.

5. ba$$88

ba$$88 Guest

Jun 13, 2004
    radeon 9800!!!! they're expensive though, but if you game its cool.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Which one is cheaper? The 9800 XT or the 9800 Pro? The cheaper one can have its ROM flashed to make it like the more expensive one. Or so I have heard.

7. ba$$88

ba$$88 Guest

Jun 13, 2004
    i thought the XT was cheaper, but my comp came with 9800 installed.

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Hah, I am using a 32 MB shared video on my cheapo computer. I mean, the motherboard is great, but just the video card couldn't possibly keep up to anything big.

9. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Alright guys, now we're talking... can you guys think of any other card with 128 mb that can be had for a little bit less than the radeon?

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Neither, but the XT is more expensive than the pro. I believe you're thinking of the 9800SE which can be modded to identical PRO specs but can be purchased for cheaper than the pro.

Example:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-348&depa=0

brad cook

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hateater,

Look through new egg. There are some great deals there.

brad cook

12. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Better deals than ebay?

13. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    OKay, if my ebay auction doesn't work out, I will go to newegg..... they have some sweet deals on video cards 4 times faster than mine........... ............................

14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    G-ForceFX5700 Ultra.

uh huh.

15. I picked up my GeForceFX5900XT on Newegg for just under $200. It's only a 128MBDDR card, but I haven't had any problems in any games, including Unreal Tournament.

16. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Ive got a radeon 9800XT256DDR. IT does about 6600 3dmarks.

its the ****.

17. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

sooooo many letters/numbers

*head explodes*

18. *translates*: the 9800XT type card with 256MB of DDR memory on it. The 3Dmark it just an indication to compare systems: the higher the better. Does need saying that other things that your graphicscard makes up a part of that score.