1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

3D Modeling Programs (that take plot point inputs)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lokire, Jan 16, 2012.

1. I have a list of 3D plot points that correspond to cubes (8 points make one cube). I'm looking for a 3D modeling program that can take these plot points as a bulk input (CSV file or something), and draw the results in a 3D space.

Any thoughts?

I built my own 3D modeling program in Excel / VBA that basically takes a set of 3D plot points, and converts them to 2D 'screen' points to draw the object in a 2D space based on a given viewer's location and perspective (3-point perspective projection). It was a pain, but it works and was a great learning experience. The problem is that once excel gets up into thousands of plot points for a larger model, it slows down significantly. And whenever I want to change the perspective, it has to start over and re-draw everything. So I'm wanting to export the 3D plot point output of my program into a program that is actually designed to do 3D modeling work.

I don't really want to spend thousands of dollars for one of the industry standard CAD programs, but it doesn't have to be free either.

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I *think* GNUPlot will do this, but it's been ages since I've played with it. Others that I know that will, fall in the "thousands of dollars" category :D

3. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    can you draw the item in 3d on one layer on a regular CAD program and then add the plot points in a separate layer?

4. Have heard of GNUPlot, but never messed with it. I'll try it out - thanks!

I don't follow. My excel program generates thousands of plot points (x, y, z) that I need to programmatically draw on the screen to create a 'model'. I don't need the points themselves to be drawn; they're just representing the corners of the cubes that need to get drawn.

5. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I misunderstood. I was merely asking. I use cad everyday, figured it was easier.

R

6. No worries. I would love to get into CAD, but I hear it's a pretty steep learning curve (was that your experience?), and I wouldn't have a lot of real-world use for it. Architecture, structural engineering, and general virtual modeling is fascinating to me though.

7. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I use primarily AutoCAD for day to day, and some Solidworks and once you get used to the icon-set, it's pretty intuitive.

Maybe do a Google for a free basic CAD setup, there were a lot of results when I just searched, you know, something to play around on.

Sorry I cannot help further (short of drawing it up at work, which I kinda can't)...what is the end model of if you don't mind me asking? It sounds like x,y,z to set distances like a point to point drill or mill data entry....,

8. I use AutoCAD and Autodesk Civil 3D all the time. Civil 3D has a huge learning curve. For your application, google sketch up (we use it industry as well for building some subdivision renderings).

lowsound