1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

3eq vs.2eq on the stingrays????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Irie01, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Irie01

Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    Is there a differnece in tone and sound between a a stingray with 3eq and the 2eq? which do u think is better and why?I am deciding between a sterling and a stingray and it has been a very hard choive.Please, if can anyone can tell me anything that would make my decision easier, tell me.I love both.But i am looking for the one that can get that lower sound and tones.please help.

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    This is how I think of it...

A Stingray has a metal control cavity, which adds mass to it (don't believe me? How do you think a different metal bridge with more mass alters the tone? Granted, it's not as large of a difference, considering it's not directly on the strings, but you should notice it), along with the wider neck.

I believe the 'Ray has a fatter tone than the Sterling.

EQs?

The 2 band on the 'Ray will obviously be inferior to the 3 band option you can get on it.

I mean, the 3 band EQ is 1/3 better than the 2 band EQ. :)

I'd spend the extra $$ and get the 3 band.

A lot of places don't even sell the 2 band 'Ray's. I don't think Bass Central does, even. :)