Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

3eq vs.2eq on the stingrays????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Irie01, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Irie01

Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    Is there a differnece in tone and sound between a a stingray with 3eq and the 2eq? which do u think is better and why?I am deciding between a sterling and a stingray and it has been a very hard choive.Please, if can anyone can tell me anything that would make my decision easier, tell me.I love both.But i am looking for the one that can get that lower sound and tones.please help.

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    This is how I think of it...

A Stingray has a metal control cavity, which adds mass to it (don't believe me? How do you think a different metal bridge with more mass alters the tone? Granted, it's not as large of a difference, considering it's not directly on the strings, but you should notice it), along with the wider neck.

I believe the 'Ray has a fatter tone than the Sterling.

EQs?

The 2 band on the 'Ray will obviously be inferior to the 3 band option you can get on it.

I mean, the 3 band EQ is 1/3 better than the 2 band EQ. :)

I'd spend the extra $$ and get the 3 band.

A lot of places don't even sell the 2 band 'Ray's. I don't think Bass Central does, even. :)