1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3ft power cords?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by chutsk10, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Does anyone know where to find 3ft power cords suitable for rackmount gear?

I am looking for something standard none of this stuff that coasts $200 for a 3ft length.

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    [​IMG]

If you tuned all the strings E B E B E B E........... You'd get a 3 foot power chord

You could always just make your own its not that hard. Just buy regular power chords cut to length and rewire the plug.

3. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    Man, I was thinking of power chords too :)

4. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    These are just standard IEC cables. SHould be able to get them free in the trash cans of any tech store. Or at least you should be able to buy them there.

5. I can only find 6ft and 12ft lengths.

Also the ones used for computers are really thin, much thinner than the ones that came with my rack equipment.

6. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Who cares how thin? They are also lighter - if you're carrying a rack. Other than a power amp, I seriously doubt if you need anything more than 16GA (if that). Even a power amp would be OK on a computer power cord.
    You can also get some Hosa "Y" IEC connectors. You can also make your own. There are a lot of ways to go here that are inexpensive.
    What I've found to be the biggest pain is the fit between the connector on the device and the IEC on the cord.

7. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
  8. Bayou cables does not supply custom length power cords (I get all my cables form there usually)

As for the gage, all the cables I found are 18 gage, i was uncertain if that would be good enoguh for rack mounted music equipment.

I guess the main concern is that my poweramp is running over 2000watts didn't know if I a 16ga would work.

9. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Your amp says on the back it uses 12 Amps. You can got to your local electrical supplier (not the place that sells tvs but a place where eelectricians go for parts). Ask for a length of 3 core cable (twin and earth) with 10 gauge wire inside wire rated to take 15 amps (Or 11 rated for 12 amps will do also). They should also have the parts needed to make either end of the cable. If not you could probably order some on the net somewhere.

All your gear has an amp rating on the back use that to determine what gauge cable you'll need.

10. I found some 14 gage cords which say they handle up to 15A... is it possible for that, sicn eyou say 10gage handles 15A

11. rob2966

rob2966

Oct 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    Found this table for wire gauge and current capacity

Gauge Current(A)
    =============
    8 23.6
    9 18.7
    10 14.8
    11 11.8
    12 9.33
    13 7.40
    14 5.87
    15 4.65
    16 3.69
    17 2.93
    18 2.32
    19 1.84
    20 1.46

These are conservative measures of current but give you a rough idea.

Later
    Rob

12. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I was just about to repost saying my stated current handling capacities of the AWG might be in accurate. We don't use that system here and I just did a quick search on google to find a ratings chart. Maybe some of our more knowledgeable TB'ers would know.

If it says it on the cable then chances are its a correct rating

13. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    The table above seems very conservative indeed. I found a table that converts the AWG into square millimeteres (the system I'm more familiar with). 14 Awg is equal to what I would call to 2 square (2 square millimetre cross sectional area on the cable) When I built electrical panels we would use that to take current up to 20 Amps So I would say that your lead is correct.

14. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    When I clicked on this topic I imagined people playing some massive fretboard

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hosa makes 'em in 6-inch, 1 foot, 1.5 feet and 3 feet.

Hosa power cables

Buy 'em here

16. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    This what you're looking for?

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego