1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3leaf/Analogman/B:assmaster owners: power supply?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hollow Man, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    All you 3leaf, Analogman Chorus, and B:assmaster owners, I'm about to join your ranks. I've only recently become interested in effects pedals, and I'm now learning that some pedals require isolated power as opposed to being daisy-chainable. Anyway, my guitarist just turned me on to the 1Spot power supply/chain, and assuming that all three of those pedals will work hum-free with the 1Spot, I intend to pick one up. Anyway, I just wanted to get feedback from you guys as to how you power your pedals and what experiences you've had with daisy-chaining these pedals. Thanks!

2. 5stringwonder

5stringwonder

Sep 24, 2006
    Singapore
    I'm using a T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr to power those pedals and a few more..

3. Assmaster is fine with daisy chains.

4. tempted to sig that

5. Hollow Man

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I think I read in another thread that you daisy chain your effects, and in looking at the T-Rex, it looks like the majority of the 9V DC outs share the same ground, which as far as I know is basically the same concept as a daisy chain.

So given all that, you're basically telling me that you daisy chain all three of my pedals in question with no problem?

6. Hollow Man

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Awesome, thanks! :D

7. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    *ding ding ding!

8. 5stringwonder

5stringwonder

Sep 24, 2006
    Singapore
    Nope, the T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr has isolated outputs. I'm running them indivdually off their own output.

I've tried running them in a daisy chain as well. No problem as well.

9. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I don't own a 3leaf, but I have both a B:Assmaster as well as an Analogman BiChorus. I have used both of these pedals previously with a 1Spot (and a whole bunch of other pedals in the chain), and now use them powered by a Voodoo Labs PP2+ (with some minor daisy-chaining action). Haven't had a problem in either case, and I would assume that the 3leaf is fine with daisy chaining since the circuit is similar to the Barge Concepts Grinder that I own.

10. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    Analogman Mini chorus can run on anything from 9v to 18v (confirmed recently in an e-mail by Analog Mike). Currently, mine is powered from a 9v spot on the DC Brick, which is not isolated (like a daisy chain).

11. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I didn't know that. I wonder how much of a difference double the headroom makes.

12. Hollow Man

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Awesome, I think that wraps it up. Thanks guys!

13. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    I own both the 3Leaf and B:ASSMASTER. Daisy chains are fine. Great choices btw!

14. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    The Groove Regulator runs fine on daisy chains. Personally, I use a Diago Powerstation but I've used 1-spots and generic power supplies and gotten good results. It will pretty much run on anything that's 9-12 volts DC.

In general, fuzz pedals based on older designs are the ones that need isolated power. This is because they are reverse-polarity, and using them with a normal-polarity pedal will fry your power supply.

15. Hollow Man

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Hey Spencer, thanks for chiming in. Don't know why I didn't just PM you outright...

I chained the Groove Regulator and my Analogman last night, and it was a thing of beauty. I'm so impressed with the Groove Regulator... it's got a world of flexibility, but it's so easy to dial in great sounds! A rare combination. I'll definitely be hanging onto this one.

16. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    Did you say the GR could run at 12 volts? :)

17. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Yes, and that's generally how I run mine. You get a bit more sensitivity and headroom.

18. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Well that's an option I wasn't aware of!

19. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Whoops, I guess I didn't really advertise it.

20. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Advertise that! :eek:

I'm totally going to turn the juice up the power for my GR and play with that tonight. No sleep for me :D

Edit: That actually didn't take very long. Flipping up the switch on my BBE, which I believe raises the voltage from 9v to 12v, did give more headroom and sensitivity like Spencer said. The GR feels much more responsive to my dynamics at 12v than it did at 9v. Definitely keeping it this way. I love talkbass, I don't think I ever would have tried the GR at 12v without hearing it from Spencer himself.