1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

3p4t rotary switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by knegolf, Mar 27, 2013.

1. knegolf

knegolf

Dec 23, 2007
    Sweden
    Hi.

I am looking for three rotary switches (3P4T) of good quality for my bass. Does any one know of a place where i can find such a thing for a reasonable price, say around 10 to 15 dollars a piece. I have searched for a while now, but i can't seem to find any switches that have long enough threads to be able to fit into my basses body. I would need about 12mm, or 0.5 inches to be able to fit the switch securely.
    And also, would you recommend a shorting or non shorting switch?

Thank you for your help.

2. keyofnight

keyofnight

Jun 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I was just looking for these, and I found them for pretty cheap on mouser.

3P4T Alpha Rotary Switch, Part # SR2511F-0403-19R0B-E9-S-W

I'm not sure if the threading is long enough for your needs, though. What are you going to use them for? Pickup selector?

3. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Everyone I've ever run across would barely work on a 1/4" top, much less a 1/2" top. You'll probably have to thin your body's top to get one to fit.

I prefer the shorting type.

4. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I used to have an old Carvin BB75 wired up with such a rotary switch. I have a spare in my closest, I'll see if I can dig up the part number. I think I got the thing from Mouser, but it wasn't the switch from post #2.

If I'm remembering correctly it fit right into a hole that had been meant for a normal pot.

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The one linked above is the shorting type.

And yes, you may have to rout the top thinner. The only instruments I have seen with 1/2" thick tops are Les Pauls. I use one of these in one of my wooden top basses and I didn't have to do any extra routing.

6. knegolf

knegolf

Dec 23, 2007
    Sweden
    Thank you all for your contributions.
    The switches are supposed to be uses for switching the coils of two lundgren humbuckers in series single, single and parallell. As well as having one extra switch for switching between the humbuckers, like a more advanced type of PU selector.
    I have found a switch that might work for me, I feel that going for a cheep taiwanese switch when i buy a pair of almost 500 usd pickups is a bit silly, so i think i will go for a couple of US made switches, allthough i might have to route the wood a bit, i will also have to take more accurate measurements on the thikness of the wood since i might have been over estimating it a bit. The bass is made of a single piece of ash, and does not have any hard wood top, so mounting may not be as much of a problem as i initially thought.
    The switches i found are the electroswitch C4 http://se.mouser.com/Search/m_Produ...tch/C4D0304N-A/&qs=vmaJ%2bUOuvaxtbRg04JhkiQ==

/Anders

7. knegolf

knegolf

Dec 23, 2007
    Sweden
    What would be the main difference between using a shorting or a non shorting switch? Would there be any audible clicks when switching between modes if i use a non shorting one? The reason for asking is that i found a set of switches that seem quite nice, however they are non shorting, and the shorting ones have a 32 day lead time on delivery, and since i am the impatient type, i would like to settle with the ones that are available if there won't be any audible difference.

Very thankful for answers.
    /Anders.

8. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    It doesn't make a lot of different when used in this context.

9. knegolf

knegolf

Dec 23, 2007
    Sweden
    Sounds great, is there a context where it will make a difference? And what are the pitfalls of using these types of switches?

10. When you have switches in high current circuits, shorting switches can cause sudden increases in current that can strain or damage certain components. Conversely, a non-shorting switch can do the same, if there are switched loads with high startup currents, like motors.

11. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Also, if you were switching an audio signal though caps or something like that, you would probably want a shorting switch.

12. knegolf

knegolf

Dec 23, 2007
    Sweden
    Ok. Thank you again. I think i will place the order right away now that i know enough.