1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

3rd Annual Bass Solo Competition @ The Guitar Shop NYC 9/28/18

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Aug 23, 2018.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    The Guitar Shop NYC will be hosting its 3rd annual Bass Solo Competition Friday, September 28th. Doors open at 2pm for a mini bass expo, open to the public. Try out PBJ Amps, Earthquaker Devices, La Bella Strings and basses from F-Bass, Fodera, Brubaker and more. Competition starts at 6pm sharp.

The contest is open to up to 12 players. Entries must be submitted by September 9th. Contestants must perform an original composition. You may use pre-recorded backing tracks, loop pedals, or a drum machine. No additional backing musicians permitted. Contestants will have 5 minutes to perform.

To enter, send a photo and short video performance to: solobasscontest@gmail.com

1st place winner will receive a limited edition Emilio by La Bella P-Bass. Runners up will receive various prizes from PJB, La Bella, Earthquaker Devices, Moody Straps, Pig Hog Cables, and MTD.

The Guitar Shop NYC is located at 225 34th St, Brooklyn NY 11232 (Located between 4th and 5th Ave, take the D N R to 36th St)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2018
    Michael F Clef likes this.
  2. Any videos of previous years? Would be great to see.

kopio and tubedude like this.
  3. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    I love bass, but bass solos are boring with few exceptions.

glocke1 and Admiral Akbar like this.
  4. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    This reminds me of a mail-in-a-tape solo contest Guitar Player Magazine did in about 1985. It was a guitar magazine, but bass player named Michael Sciuto won. He got his solo published and included in a subsequent issue of the magazine on one of those floppy records that were thin enough to include in the magazine. It was a balls-out slap thing.

I guess most of the people on TalkBass, even their parents might not have been old enough to care that far back. But it was cool at the moment.

5. ddezz

ddezz

Apr 5, 2013
    Naples FL & Hartford, CT USA
    Nobody give me anything!
    I wonder if they allow tenor basses in the competition-you know basses strung up with cheese cutter strings? I think they have an unfair advantage over a traditional bass guitar and certainly easier to play. Just my personal opinion. I think a bass should be a bass.

6. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS

Sub'd

7. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    I don't think its that they are boring, it's that many/most seem to use them as a show case for their chops.

The best bass solos I've heard are the ones that remind me of the way a horn player would solo, (and years ago thats what my teacher told me I should strive for "sound like a horn player dude!" with feeling, dynamics, etc.., but it doesn't seem like many bassists want to solo that way as a quick search of google using the search terms "bass solos" turned up videos where almost every player was slapping...

mb94952 likes this.
  8. BK bassist

BK bassist "Apollo's Ghost" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'll be at this show along with a few other local TB friends ... I'll try to take pics / vids to upload after the show.

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Hopefully they'll be trying out "PJB" amps and not "PBJ" amps. ;)

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If I had to guess, I would say there are LOTS more over 40 members than under 25 members here at TalkBass.

11. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I wonder.

mb94952 likes this.