Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

3rd graders busted

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by iplaybass, Dec 11, 2002.

1. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/South/12/11/school.pot/index.html

I could hardly believe it. 2 3rd graders busted for having 15 bags of pot between them. Amazing.:eek: The article says they were busted in a town north of Port St. Lucie... any local reaction Brendan/bassbrobrad? Kids are growing up faster and faster... I hope I can raise some good kids of my own someday, but some of these issues have me worried.

2. It sounds like an older guy trying to use these kids to sell pot, but still, that's messed up. I remember walking down the street once with some friends when we saw two 6 year old kids play fighting with their action figures. Seemed like a normal thing, until we got closer and heard them. I can't exactly write it out here, but damn, I didn't learn half those words until highschool :eek:.

3. I live in a small town and drugs are a big thing, however when I was 13, very few people did them... now I know people who have brothers under 10 that deal, have weapons and all this poop

4. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    my wife is a 3rd grade teacher...that's kinda scary--the kids in there seem so niave still, makes me wonder who was pulling the strings.

5. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Over 20 years ago, I played a parochial junior high school dance with a band, and the kids there were trying to sell amphetamines to the band. The priest came out and thought the band was doing the selling! We couldn't believe the audacity of the kids even then.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You know what this could lead to? Population control.:(

That's just a scary thought!

7. but some people shouldent be aloud to bread....

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

yoove got that write

9. 15 bags !?!?!?

I can't even find 1.

10. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    wow, tahts prety extreme :/

I aggree with metallicarules guy, about them being 'tading posts' for the stuff. Some gimp's probably offered them a bag of sweets or the latest toy in exchange for it :(

About the bad language, i know what you mean; ive a 10 yr old brotehr whos got appaling language. Hes always swearing, een as normal conersation, no bars held, ranging from sh*t, to F*ck to C**t etc.

I can honestly say that ive never sworn at my mum too, the little brat does on a nightly bassis. Maybe its time i opened a few cans of whoop ass on him;)

11. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Yeah, I saw that on the local news here a few days ago. One of the kids saw the weed, told a teacher or something and got the other kids in trouble. They still haven't found the supplier of these kids or the motive. Cops arrested the 2 8 year old kids, charged one of them with possession and the other with possession with intent to sell. Cops arresting 3rd graders with weed, who would have thought. :rolleyes:

12. At least its not guns, *shrugs*. Stories like this sort of make it appear as though kids have suddenly become horribly corrupt gangsters. The fact is, things like this have always been around, I'm sure the majority of 6-8 year olds are pretty clean as far as drugs go (Its the 9 and 10 year olds you ahve to watch out for!) I know we all did some pretty rotten things when we were little, some things we won't admit or maybe just forgot about. Kids today aren't any worse than they've always been.....its just the people judging them aren't kids anymore.

13. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    thats really scary seeing as my sister is 7 and there are lot of 9-10 yr old kids around our neighborhood...and alot of them are not so well behaved....i think maybe its time that i question some people...

should they have more of these in them : *

i thought those words were fire truck and coconut:D :rolleyes:

bp13

14. Then we have the 4 year old who brings her teacher a gift, a nice baggie of weed. She said she got it from Mom, Mom denies this of course.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Not surprised in the SLIGHTEST. Which is kinda sad, when you think about it...

16. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    yeah, when i annoy him he tells me to 'truck off you trucking coconut' ;)

17. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

LOL!

18. the one thing i have been is totally honest about the drug thing with my kids. it is so scary how these babies, yes, they are still babies, are growing up so fast. and it pisses me off that older people can use little bits like this for their benefit. there is no way these babies had the money for that, you know someone older convinced them to deal. some people need to, oh i don't know, i am just so totally angry. i hate seeing kids used and abused this way. it is horrid. and i feel for the teachers who deal with this, between how young they are getting for sex, weapons, drugs. god. what is the world coming to. we have group homes for little 2nd and 3rd graders. it kills me to see these innocents in them. and yes, these are innocent minds being twisted for someone elses advantage. sigh.

19. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    well, i'm a tad surprised. would've been less so if it were fifth graders or something.

our city (and our neighbor to the north, fort pierce) has a TREMENDOUS drug problem.

oh, and st. lucie county has had the highest rate of AIDS per capita. this year, some other town displaced us of our claim to fame! :(

what brendan may not know (he hasn't been here all too long) is what happened many years ago (i must've been in elementary school at the time).

this one middle schooler broke into a store to steal cigarettes, realized he couldn't get out, and took off his mask in frustration.

easy material for jay leno.

so basically, we're a community of jackass outlaws.

:D

i think all these problems are just b/c we have a constantly growing population. more people=more bad people. got to take the bad with the good. drugs? geographical location, maybe.

our very own local "celebrity" (a bloodsucking lawyer) got in legal trouble (no pun...) last year for a) doing coke and then b) admitting to an affair with a teen. just this week he has been convicted. good for him!

anyways, i don't know a single person who has said, "you know, i really love this city. i want to stay here for the rest of my life." everyone wants to get the hell out of here! :D

what i think is oddly humorous, ironic, and damning is our growing population. what attracts people here are low land costs and taxes, which are the very reasons why WE CAN'T AFFORD TO EDUCATE OUR GROWING POPULATION!

that's what really chaffs MY biscuits.

20. I also heard a story about how a 4 year old gave a bag of weed to her teacher for a birthdya present. Apparently got it from mommy, too.

At least Children's Service is interveneing on that one.

Rock on
    Eric