1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

3way-small-light cab ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big String, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Looking for small light cab to use with my LMII for rehearsals, small gigs, jams etc. My current LMII and HT112 are very good but lack some bottom and cut/loudness. Also the HT is not a light cab for it's size/output. I've considered a number of combo's and have been researching for days. The MB CMD121P sounds interesting but at $900.00 and mixed reviews I'm not sure I would like it. Many find it 'boxy' or 'nasally' and won't handle lower notes without farting. The MB Berlin or 151P are bigger than I actually want. I'm thinking possibly a 1x12 3-way cab might do the trick. Dr. Bass, Accugroove Tri-112L is all I can think of. I'm also considering the new AE210 as an alternative as it would be louder than a 1x12 3way, but probably not as full range. ???

All comments and suggestions are welcome.

2. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    ACME has a 1x10 3 way that might do the trick.

3. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
    You're looking for the impossible -- small, low, and loud. You have to decide which two of the three are more important to you. The Acme B1, from what I've read, is likely to be small and low but not very loud.

Asad

4. The accugroove tri112L did a good job at covering these things for me. OBVIOUSLY it's not going to be as loud and low as a multi 10 or 12 cab, but it fit the bill quite nicely.

5. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    Visit the DR.Bass website and you will see all he has to offer. Call Marc has a great guy and will discuss your needs. One of the cabs I'm now considering is the 1260 slant with the Beyma upgrade. Call , you won't be sorry.

Pat

6. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Thanks All.

I have spoken with Marc at Dr. Bass about is 1260. They are also less expensive than the Tri. That Berg AE210 is mighty enticing also .. I know what I describe IS asking a lot for sure. As I mentioned the little Berg HT does a pretty good job, but looking for a bit more. You know the drill. (aka gas)

In the past days I've read and re-read about little three way cabs filling sizeable situations. It seems the extra driver be it 5 or 6 inch always seems to impress in any size enclosure.

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I look forward to the day someone makes a decent 12" woofer (especially neo) for bass guitar - they are all so miserable at moving air. The only speakers that can really get some bottom happening are the OEM Acme 10" and the Kappalite 3015LF - the former goes very low but is short on sensitivity, the latter is more sensitive but doesn't go as low and needs a bigger box. You can get decent loudness from various 12" bass guitar woofers but none of them go low in a small box and if you put them in a bigger box they may produce more bottom but they can't move enough air to play loud at the same time.

Adding a midrange driver means that you can use a woofer that is more oriented towards producing lows but if you do so then you inevitably give up woofer sensitivity (see Acmes). If you add a midrange driver to a more typical woofer then you gain better off-axis response and transition to the tweeter but if you don't lowpass that woofer you'll end up with boosted midrange (though that's often a pro in real gigging situations) as with the Tri-112L.

I'm currently building a cab that will go pretty low (real response to ~45Hz, not a marketing man's claim) and loud and be light (extremely light for its size). But it will not be small - that's the one thing all manner of technology cannot achieve simultaneously.

Alex

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    There's a Dr Bass 1260 f/s over at BABP forum.
    I have one loaded with the Delta 12LF-not the neo version...
    so, min'es heavier, and gonna sound a lil different...
    but it's a damn fine cab, and might well meet your needs.

If yer not all locked onto the three way concept, try the Schroeder 1212L.

Also, Don Oatman at Low Down Sound could work with you to build a nice light neo 12" three way to meet your specs.
    He's great to work with, and cost efficient.
    I just ordered my 4th box from him, and a 5th is in the works.
    (2x8+5, 4x8, 2x12+2x6, 5x8, 15+8+horn)