Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

3x10 of choice? For Everything?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TonyP-, Oct 28, 2005.

1. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups
    Hello folks

For those of you who play everything under the sun I mean literally everything from sitting in with gridy rock act and yet you part of a jazz trio as well.

What would be the 3x10 of choice?

The older company I used to work with cabinets are kind of bulky and not a defined for the articulate fusion-like kind of tone (Genz-Benz) although they are a great for most other applications.

I tried an Epifani a few years ago and really liked that but I’m not sure if the older series has changed. (I believe it was called the NYC and T series) in design.

I have A/B-ed next to the UL series I can hear a difference. (I thought the older heavy 3x10 series sounded a bit better).

I wanted to use the Acme B-2 but I primarly play Grafite necks and I don’t think it complimented the Modulus I own nicly.

I appreaicate anyone exsperinaces with 3x10’s.

Cheers
    -Tony

http://www.basswave.com
    :smug:

2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have a berg 310. I use it with a Modulus Fretless. I like the 310 in environments where I need volume but not chest pounding sound. For raw power in a similar sized cab I would use a 410. The 310 is very articulate and I think it works best in place of a 210. I sold my 210s and started using my 310 in those places. I use my 310 at church because I need clarity and decent volume but not overpowering. A 410 with alot of power can be chest pounding. The 310 has the volume but not the chest pounding power if that makes any sense

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have heard both the Epifani T-310 and T-310UL, and I own two Bergantino HT310's and an EA CX-310. To be honest, these are all great cabs in their own right. I tend to prefer the Berg and EA (hard to choose a favorite between the two), but the T-310 is a tad more compact than the HT310, and is in the same sonic ballpark (though I find the HT310 to sound beefier/tighter on the lows, and slightly more balanced through the mids). The T-310UL is ridiculously light.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I've played through a Berg 310 and it was wonderful cab. I'd say the same for a Berg322. I'm not sure how you could go wrong with either.

5. +1 That is EXACTLY what I hear comparing my 310UL and 410UL.

The 310UL does sound quite different from the original T310's (16" depth) and the later T's and NYC's (18" depth). I like the UL's a lot better... with the slightly less extended low end and the more articulate upper mid response... which seems to fit the sound you are going for. Some like the original non-neo series sound better.

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    From the brief time that I heard it, I think I agree with Ken that the T-310UL might sound a tad better on the whole compared to the T-310. I hear the tonal differences in the same light, too. It certainly does pack a ton of volume and tone into a very compact, almost ridiculously light package.

Tom.

7. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups
    Intresting.....Thanks Guy's

Actually I think I would like the deeper ones.
    I'm not really worried as much witht he arrticulation of my Modulus (I prehaps would be If I was playing a fender with a rosewood fingerboard) but more with the lowend response of the 35" B and general overall musicial tone.

I did not know that there was a depth differance between the cabs. :eek:
    (What are the other differnaces other then the neo speakers)
    :smug:

8. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    I would be into checking out the Berg's espicially since they are close by.....However they do not make a 3x10 anymore.

I'm not really intrested in the Berg 322. :meh:

Hmmm.....

Is there a defferance betweent he T series and the NYC series?

Thanks again
    :)

9. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

another satisfied Bergantino user here ...

the HT-310 , while not lightweight , is easy enough for me to haul around by myself .
    i still see these cabs come up for sale every now and then , but i'll be keeping mine for a long time ...

i agree with Pickebass , it's very articulate and punchy , but not quite enough for outdoor gigs ...
    unless you have PA support .

my gig this weekend is a large outdoor party , and i will be taking an extra cabinet with me ,
    an Avatar CB-115H , for a little bit of low end support ...

the HT-310 does provide plenty of low end thump for most any other indoor gigs ,
    my bandmates love the sound , so i'm pretty happy with it .:D

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The EA CX-310 is also not made anymore, but they do make a killer 4x10.

Well, the HT310 is not made anymore, and the HT322 sounds much like a HT310 with bigger low end (though perhaps not quite as much upper midrange clarity), so I wouldn't write it off so quickly.

Ken would be the expert on this, but I think that with the 310, the differences are fairly minor, if any.

11. The original T series 310 (quite a number of years ago) was the shallow depth. The later T's and more recent NYC's were increased to the full current depth. However, none of these cabs are in production any more. The UL's (with the wonderful B&C Neo speakers) are the only line that Nick is currently producing. The earlier T models also had a different crossover... I believe the later NYC and Neo crossovers are very similar (at least to my ear, they are similar).

So, if you decide on a used NYC, you will get a more open low end, and slightly more scooped sound (less upper mid definition) and A LOT more weight. The UL will give you the same volume, same size, very much lighter, with a more 'transparent' sound IMO.... a little less low end extension and a lot more articulation in the upper mids. I would thing the UL/Modulus fit would be amazing.

Both are great.. and I've heard very good things abou the Berg also...

12. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass

Ok very nice.....This is good to know.
    Its good to here that you thing the Modulus and UL would sound good. Only speculation alone I still think the older T or NYC would probaly be best for me.

Here is the Scoop...... :)

I talked to a few people Today and over the last few days.

Supposdly Epifani will do the NYC series for $100 less. (If that is the case then I hope its the older deeper box) I like that it is a 2" deeper.

Also another notable Manufacter is exspermenting wiht a new design. That I might get a chance to try when I start travling over the next couple of weeks.

Once I try this I will let the forum know what it is and give a report.

You guys have been very helpful thanks a lot.

13. Very cool. They haven't made the shallower design in many years... so it will be the deeper one. Cool that they will still make an NYC for you.... I assume they still have some speaker stock left. Let us know what you decide!

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I currently own and use two 310 cabs, a T-310 Epifani (deep cab) and EA CX310. The EA is cleaner but quite bulky to move around while the Epi is punchier. I'm selling the EA and keeping the Epi...for now.

15. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    Aghh...cool
    Mr, BoogieB~ what did you notice about the low end diffefferance between the 2 and what are you running for a 5 string?

Cheers
    -Tony

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The low end on the two cabs is comparable and I use Hanewinckel basses.