Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

3x10 or 2x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lucfor, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Hi, how do you compare in terms of sound a 2x12 cab versus a 3x10? Which one would you chose as a single cab for a 5 string bass?

Thanx!!!!

Luca

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    2x12, hands down. Why do you want a 3X10??? What cabs are you talking about?

I prefer 10's, but would never get a 3x10. alot of market hype is what they are. I know few people that like have owned them, and didn't want either a 2x12, a 4x10(ahhhh4x10, the way god ment them to be, not the mutant cusion) or something else. Maybe for weight reasons? I just don't get it. I hear they BOMED big time, maybe ive just been hearing things. someone else will be along in a moment to help you out i'm sure.

3. I was thinking about a Markbass 3x10, an Italian 'very fashionable' (at the moment) brand that I could get here in Europe. I just thought that it could be a good compromise in terms of sound, price and weight to use as a single cab. But as sound is my priority, and as I have no idea of how a 3x10 can sound, I decided to post this thread.

Thanx

Luca

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own both and, depending on the room, use either. Mine are Epifani's. The T-310 is a great sounding, punchy cab that doesn't weigh as much as a 4x10 but sounds almost as big. For small restaurant/club gigs, it's perfect. The T-212 has more bottom but less punch and works well in larger rooms. Not familiar with the brand you're considering but, unless you play a lot of fairly large rooms, a 310 will serve you very well...and not strain your back! Good luck.

5. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    It's really a great cab. Much punchier in my book and faster transient than a 212. Mine weighs in at 70 but you can get the ultralite speakers in this cabinet for a little more and bring to weight down to 49 pounds.

I don't know if Polybass is a man or woman or has roadies doing his/her shlepping, but a good 212-aguilar, epifani, bergantino, several others I didn't mention are not self roadie friendly, so weight can be a factor. The Epifani 212 I think weighs 84? pounds...haven't looked lately. Does it sound good? Hell yes it does!! I think the Bergie 310 and 212 is in that same area if not heavier.

The thing I also like about the Epifani 310 is that it sounds good loud or soft. It's definitely got much more cajones than a 210 and it's got plenty of volume, again, depending on the kind of band, head etc. Is it as loud, full, cool as a 410? No. Does it weigh what a 410 does? No but ultralites would bring an Epifani 410 down to probably 60 pounds? or so, which is lighter than the 310 with standard speakers.

I wouldn't power an Epi 310 with a lower watter amp and expect it to put out. The cab is fairly efficient and with it's weird ohmage of 5.3, you never get the full bored usage of most heads. This bottom for my band gets too loud before it has a chance to fart out.

I think it's a great compromise and as long as you're not needing jet airplane engine equivalent DB's, it could be plenty of volume for most people. If you're playing Reggae or Metal, or are consistently in larger venues, a 212 will probably do ya better.

Good luck.

L

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Like boogiebass I own both a 212 and a 310. Mine happen to be Bergantinos not Epifanis, but nevertheless my opinion matches his: the twelves have "bigger" tone, the tens have more punch. That is not to say that my 310 can't handle low B: in fact it does handle it just fine. To my ears the 310 is better on mids, and not worse on lows.

FWIW: this can depend on what bass I'm playing, but I *usually* don't use the 212 by itself because it's trickier (for me) to EQ in boomy rooms. I've been pairing my 212 with a 210 in larger rooms, and using the 310 solo. But I did use 210/310 in one big boomy room. YMMV, wubba wubba wubba, deedle deedle dee.

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    two L's. Polly. anyway, I'm a guy, and carry my 1x15 and 4x10 to every gig and practice. I find I would rather have good tone, at the sake of having to carry a heavy cab out the door to my car, and out my car into the gig. Weight was never an issue with me, but I guess if your THAT worried about weight, and 3x10 will weigh less. but not fill as much space (Logic, one less speaker.) I have found these "In Style" cab makers pumping out these 3x10's. I'm glad some people see them usefull. But my hate of 3x10's is like SOMEONES hate of the 15 inch speaker. It's like, why? if you want a small gig cab, 2x10. if you want to fill some place, a 4x10. But agreed, the weight can get on your nerves, and if playing with a lighter cab makes you happy, go for it. I'm just thinking that normaly, people want lows for that B string. And i do belive the 2x12 would do a much better job (As far as lows go) hitting that low B. Depends on the maker sometimes. but thats a simple rule of thumb.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Good point. I'm selective about where I use the 212 by itself. Low ceilings with spread out areas in bars that aren't boomy seem to be the best. One such joint where I play every month has us setting up right on the floor (carpet) in the corner; no stage. It's perfect in there. It'll flat cover the territory, that's fer sure! The guitarist is always crying, :bawl: "Yer killin' me over here, Mr. Bassman!" The audience, on the other hand, is dancing! ;)

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have both the 3/10 & 2/12...both Bergies, they both sound great....especialy together:D But when I use one cab, it's usually the 2/12...it's just massive! I use a Demeter preamp, and they are not known for being boomy preamps.....so thats probably why it works for me. You really can't go wrong with either:bassist:

10. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Sorry about the two L's.

A: tone is important to me, in fact it's the most important piece of the puzzle. B. Weight is important but understand, the Epifani is not THAT LIGHT. It's still 70 pounds. I still put casters on it. I'm making 8 less trips to and from the car every gig. Makes a difference in weight and time. Well worth it.

I'm not a buff weightlifter type. I've managed to play 2000 gigs carrying my own equipment without breaking any bones, pulling any muscles, cutting my fingers up, or needing hernia or back surgery. I used to shlepp two 810 SVT cabinets on every gig. Not any more!!

I'm not sure what you mean regarding your B string comment. What is it you're trying to accomplish with the low B? I don't peddle it...It doesn't lose any volume, it sounds similar to the other strings...I think so....Maybe it isn't...my audience can't tell, So what is it exactly about the low B that I'm missing in a 310 that I shouldn't be?

What I do believe is that a 210 doesn't have the balls to do the vast majority of our gigs IMHO. If my band occasionally needed me to be 20-30% louder and more bottomy...then maybe the 310 would need company, maybe a 112 being added? Who knows.

Personally, I don't like 410's. The ones I've owned are too heavy, too expensive, and don't have any better low end repsonse in my ears than the cabinet I have, and plain just don't sound good to me.

I definitely liked Epifani and Bergantino's 212's I tried out at Bass Central, but felt the Epifani 310 was enough of a single cabinet to get the job done I need done, with the best tone combined with the least amount of weight and investment to do it. I also agree that punch at the expense of a little bottom is a more controllable tone in a challenging room.

I got my 310 used from a nice guy in Michigan for $600 delivered. That iced the cake for me.

JMHO.

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Totally agree, especially in the small rooms where I use it. Only thing I didn't really consider was the price. Personally, I think the Epi 310 is about the best sound for its size/weight/specs regardless of price! ;)

12. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Well, i've never tried a 310, but ever since i've gotten my Aggie 212, i'm in love with 212's. I know this doesn't help much. Let us know what you decide.

13. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    We play rooms that hold between 100-500 people. Even in the biggest of rooms, we are not eardrum blasting loud, although some of the crowd might take exception to that. We are louder probably than most country club, wedding ish bands I've seen, and also play small to medium size bars, so I agree the 310 is a pretty darn good match.

Just to clarify, the 310 is smaller than a 410. It's at least 1 1/2 to 2 inches less wide and about the same height as the original SWR goliath 4 10. When you add the front port to it the SWR is also about 2 inches taller. I think the new Goliaths are possibly, don't know fo sho, an inch thicker. Now add to this extra space another speaker and a little extra bracing etc., and you have quite a bit more in a small area, making it "seem" like it's even heavier in comparison even it really is only 10 pounds more. The Eden 410XLT and my guess the Aguilar 410 cabs are in the mid to high 80's.

I've heard great things about Aguilar's 212 but my 112 had nowhere near the clarity of the Epifani I have now. Granted, we're comparing what streetprice is a $375 cabinet to a $995 cabinet, so I don't expect them to "sound" the same. The 212, if it would sound like a 112 times two, wouldn't be my cup of tea. The Epifani 212 sounded close to the 310 clarity wise, but with substantially more ooooph in the lows. Some people need that to fit the venues and styles of music they play. I personally don't, but that's me not a rip on someone else. The Ag 112 just didn't have the definition and clarity of the Epi 112 or the Bergantino 112, but the Bergie, IMHO, didn't have enough bottom to add to the table. It's a really small, thin cabinet compared to the Aguilar.

What I'm saying here is if you gonna go Aguilar, you might want to consider 2 112's and take advantage of the extra tweeter to clean up the sound even more?

Whatever. Let us know. You can't go wrong with either cabinet. Just make sure you match up the venues, volume, and band style with the capability of the speakers.

L

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You want the 310, because the 212 has 12's in it. Also, the cone area projects to 335 square inches for the 310, compared to only 326 for the 212. That's nine extra square inches of projected cone area for the 310. Nine inches can make all the difference in the world.

15. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN

yes yes it can....:bawl:

16. kernpre

kernpre

Sep 12, 2002
    W. MICHIGAN
    posted by Larry KayeI got my 310 used from a nice guy in Michigan for $600 delivered. That iced the cake for me

Thanks Larry. Yeah, I'm the nice guy who sold it to you. Did I do it for 6 flat ones? Damn, I AM nice.

I currently have 310 and 212 (Bergantino). Whatever you decide, the 310's from companies such as Epi and Berg are going to stand toe to toe with most 410 manufactures in terms of volume, response and low end. My 310 bergantino kicks ass over the 410's I've owned from eden and swr. I can push it PLENTY, and she never so much as sweats.

You might want to check out the Bergantino 322. It has one twelve and two tens I believe. Same size as a standard 410 cab. I haven't played it, but I hear it kicks.

Good luck..

17. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    According to their websites, the Aguilar GS410 and the Eden D410 XLT both weigh in at 98 lbs.

18. Joe'sBass

Joe'sBass

Mar 3, 2003
    The 310's that I've heard, Epifani and bergantino, were as loud as most 410's I've heard. So if volume vs weight is a concern that's a great way to go. I just couldn't get into the sound. They are very bright and have good lows...but something just sounded wierd to me in the mids.

I like Epifani's 212 - great lows and I found it to be plenty punchy for the gigs I was doing.

But ultimately I went with a pair of the Aguilar GS 112's. They have tons of natural sounding bottom, great mids and the highs don't sound as harsh to me as some of the other cabs on the market. I know someone said they didn't think the GS 112 had clarity, but I think the cab they liked didn't have any bottom end...so some things are personal opinion. But as far as portability, volume, and tone go - I'm in love with my cabs.

19. Thanx for all your opinions.

Just to let you know a bit more about the 2 alternatives I had in mind, one is the MarkBass 103HQ Standard (have a look at their site www.markbass.it ), the other one is the Glockenklag double (2x12). Their price is basically the same here in Europe.

MarkBass 103HQ Standard
    ::TECH DETAILS
    Impedance 6 Ohms
    Power Handling 600W RMS (AES Standard)
    Crossover frequency 2.5 Khz
    Weight 26 Kg
    Height 610 mm.
    Width 586 mm.
    Depth 478 mm.
    B & C Custom Neodimium Woofers
    Two 1/4'' Jack + one neutrik
    Variable tweeter level control situated on the left side
    Professional handles
    18mm high quality multilayer poplar
    Metal corners
    38 mm Rubber Foots
    High Quality crossover
    Black Felt covering
    One B&C compression driver with custom horn

Glockenklag double 2x12
    FEATURES
    500 Watt
    Impedence 4 or 8 Ohm
    100 dB/1 W/1 m
    Frequency response 36 Hz - 18 KHz
    29 Kg

Any opinions?

Thanx

Luca

20. Bergantino 322 is great way to go. I'm liking mine.
    I have a Bergie HT212 if your interested. I also have two Berg 112, that's why I'm sellin the 212.