Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4.0 GPA= NEW BASSS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassnboards04, Nov 14, 2004.

1. bassnboards04

bassnboards04

Sep 25, 2004
    alright ive played the same bass for my whole bass career which is like two years and if i get a 4.0 gpa this semester my dad said he will get me any bass i want for up to $500 and i wanna kno which one im shooting for so i can think of it w/e i feel like not doing my homework ...ill b jammin :bassist:

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Used Geddy?

3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Used Fender MIA Standard Precision

Used Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub

Best wishes on your studies.

-Art

4. Brat

Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    4.0 GPA! Congrats! If your dream bass is over 500 (and probablly is) check if there's a used one or something.

5. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Here ya' go! One of these....
    [​IMG]
    G&L Tribute L-2500

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Free bass? Dude.. your dad rules. My dad wanted to throw my bass out of the house in highschool despite me getting A's. Supportive parents are a good thing.

7. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    +1, my dad payed for half of my kubicki. :)

8. Same with my dad. He hated the sound when I first started, but either I got better or he got used to it. I think he stopped hating it around the time when I decided to stop slapping.

And me and my dad made the bass I use now. I win the coolest dad contest.

9. wow.... your lucky. I have A's all the time... had a 4.0 sence 6th grade (im a junior this year)... and i dont get anything for my grades... i'd only get things taken away if i dont get a's....

10. Raven

Raven

Nov 14, 2004
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Thats a great thing, your dad being supportive of your music. Have you considered a new Ibanez SG 5-string? They're a good bass for the money,(just under $500), active pups and EQ, thin neck and IMO, very comfortable. I've had one for several years now and am very happy with it.

All the best, and congratz on an excellent GPA. :)

11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Parents that support musical endeavors (whatever the instrument) are not only doing their kids "favors" or giving them gifts, but expanding their horizons in numerous way. I'm lucky to have grown up in a family of both music lovers as well as amateur musicians, and was supported throughout my High School years with my Xmas and birthday gifts being bass-related - my freshman year I got a "starter pack" of a P-copy, Peavey Microbass, and a trip down to Sam Ash to make the personal decision of what design I wanted on my strap (which I still own to this day :D ) The year after, once they saw it wasn't a passing fad like so many of my friends who wanted to play guitar at the same time, it was my first multi-efx unit. Junior year, once I'd started to jam with other people, it was an upgrade to a Peavey TNT-150. Senior year I finally upgraded to a "decent" instrument, an Ibanez SR-800 (which I also still have, as I had it defretted when I caught that particular bug ;) ) I realize I'm very lucky for the support I had, and as I've grown into an adult I'm glad I've had the opportunity to tell my parents such and that it's in large part because of them that my self-identify is "musician".

As for a bass around the $500 mark you didn't mention number of strings, but keeping it at 4 or 5 I'd suggest a Yamaha BB604/605, Ibanez SRX 500/505 or SR 500/505, or a Spector Legend 4 or 5. Time to hit the local shops and see what suits you... as long at you can keep that GPA up! :D

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My dad paid for part of my first 5-string bass, in a way. When he died, they cremated him with a bunch of other folks, so nobody knew whose ashes were who's. Some people took offense at this, filed a class-action suit (which I joined, even though I didn't give a hoot), and ended up getting $300 out of the $16 million settlement. So I used it to buy my '94 American Jazz Deluxe, and named it Stan, in memory of him. Thanks, Dad!

13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Munji, you're a sick ol' bastard, you know that? :p

Spector! Fender! Ibanez! Rockbass! the options are endless, really.

I got a REAL G&L used for $429... l-5000... tis a rarebird.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm a child of my father.

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Munji,

All I can do is salute you for that.

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    +1 Brilliant!

My parents are also very supportive -- something I'm very grateful of, although I'm not sure they know just how much I appreciate it. They bought me my first bass and amp (Samick P-Bass copy and Peavey Microbass) for me for Christmas in grade 7. Only thing is, it DID pass like a fad for me! :crying: I picked it back up part way through the second half of grade 9 and I've been playing ever since. I bought my next amp last October myself and new pickups for my Samick, but they payed for an Aguilar OBP-3 (birthday present) and Leo Quann Badass II (Christmas). And when I did really well in classes last year, they actually bought me a Yamaha BB404 Fretless that was marked down from $800 to $500. THAT floored me, and I've caught the fretless bug so severely that I've been considering defretting my other bass since I don't even play it anymore! Plus, they've paid for lessons from grade 10, through grade 11, and now into my third year of 'em -- in addition to guitar lessons with another fellow.

I can't remember who it was on here, but as they started to become better and better, their dad would buy them more gear. He bought him an SWR amp because he thought he deserved it -- now THAT is a cool dad. Mind, I'm getting a Yorkville XS400 as a combined christmas/birthday present, so I'm not that jealous :p.