1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

$4,000 = ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DanielleMuscato, Sep 1, 2008.

1. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Hey folks,

I don't really want to post the whole situation on here, but let's just get to the meat of it: After several years of stalling by the other party, I finally have a settlement coming in the next few weeks. The details aren't relevant, but during the course of the events that led to this settlement, I had to sell a lot of gear I would have rather kept (that's what you get for doing someone a favor!).

Anyway, after the last of the attorney's fees, I will have $4k to play with. Here's what I sold:

- Modulus Quantum 5
    - Spector NS-5
    - Spector NS-5CRFM
    - MTD Z6
    - Fender American Deluxe Precision Bass V
    - Washburn USA XB-925 fretless five-string
    - Washburn HB15C jazz guitar
    - Samick ES-175 jazz guitar copy
    - all my guitar amps, except an older model Line6 guitar POD (I'm primarily a bassist these days)

Here's what I kept:

- MTD Kingston-series (Korean-made) Artist 5
    - 2x Line6 Variax 705 five-strings
    - Line6 Bass POD xt Live
    - Markbass LittleMark II
    - Crown K2 poweramp
    - Schroeder 1210L
    - Schroeder 21012L

I also kept my Roland TD-6SXT electronic drumset and the Fender Rumble 100-watt 2x10 I use with it, and some electric, acoustic, and classical guitars, my Alesis QS 8.1 keyboard, acoustic piano, some computer recording equipment, etc.

I have to say, I don't really miss have a high-quality bass such as the Modulus or Spector as much as I thought I would. My MTD Artist plays great, sounds just fine live, and I don't have to worry about it getting beaten up or stolen. For sessions, I use my Line6 Variaxes and LOVE them for this application.

I'm very happy with my Line6 Bass POD xt Live (for recording and running direct live) & my Schroeder 1210L (for playing live, with the LMII). I don't use the Crown K2 or 21012L much (frankly, they're overkill for me). I'm not thrilled with the LMII's tone, but the convenience is worth it.

Even after this settlement, I'm still down ~$7k overall (grr), but at least I will have some money now to get some decent gear again, if I want.

I actually have a chance to buy my very same American Deluxe 5-string P back, and for about what I sold it for, but I'd like to consider other options, as well.

So, here's where you guys come in... Recommend me some gear!

Should I get a guitar amp? A jazz guitar? A fretless? A better fretted bass? (My current #1 gigger, the MTD, was $425 used on eBay.) I'm a big fan of Nino Valenti's basses, but really, my MTD works okay for me.

I wouldn't mind having a fretless again; I miss having one, although I would get another MTD Artist, to match my fretted, if I do that. They're about $700.

I also miss having a six-string, but it's not the first thing on my list to replace.

In the "What bass could you kick yourself for having sold?" thread, I said my Modulus Quantum. That was the perfect bass for me at the time that I bought it, but that was before I discovered MTDs - I'm a huge fan of their thinner, flatter/wider necks (I came to bass from classical guitar), but like their website says, the tone in my head was in that bass. My Line6 Variaxes nail it, too, though, but they aren't as playable.

What would you get? I will probably just put the money into savings until I decide.

2. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    If you don't need anything, just bank the money. I only buy gear that I gig with, which is why I don't own a fretless anymore. If you sound good right now, there's no need for new basses or amps.

3. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    That's what I'm thinkin, too... but of course, that means admitting that I didn't need the gear I sold in the first place, either, and I just can't do that ;)

I will be banking the money either way while I decide. If I don't decide on anything for six months, well, it'll just stay in the bank. I'll just keep my eyes open, but I'm open to suggestions, too. I'm interested to hear what you guys would do if you'd sold most of your bass gear, then suddenly had 4 grand in your bank account.

4. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    Well, if I did suddenly come across a spare 4 grand, I'd probably blow most of it on a Sadowsky SA200, but you could probably make better use of the cash than wacky, unreliable tubes. :)

5. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Aren't those discontinued?

I have never liked tube (bass amps). I much prefer my Crown K2 for that kind of juice, and then use my Line6 Bass POD xt Live to warm it up. For guitar, I used to have a Mesa Boogie 1x10 Subway Rocket Reverb, a great little amp, quite tubey, and also a Fender Cybertwin that modeled tube tones very well. If I were buying another guitar amp, it would probably be a Zinky 25-watt Blue Velvet combo, though. They're about $1200 but sound great.

6. kph24

kph24

Dec 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Eastman Basses
    Maybe a Nordy Vj4 or 5:cool:

And a rig like a mesa or a Shroeder

7. kph24

kph24

Dec 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Eastman Basses
    Sorry saw you kept the shroeder but a mesa Walkabout would be cool

8. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Big +1, perhaps upgrade your main gigging bass if you want to and then back the change...

9. 1 valenti
    1 lecompte
    and a bottle of Dom to celebrate :D

10. What I would do is sell the Crown or the LMII, and the 21012L and put all the money in the bank...

I would even sell one of the Variax... it's hard to start over new.

11. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    +1... well maybe not on the selling part.... but I would put the majority of the money in the bank, there's nothing wrong with having some spare cash for when you really need it(like you needed it in the past)

12. scarekrow

scarekrow

Jan 27, 2007
    May I suggest the MTD fretless and bank the rest. You'll at least have the excitement of something new, it's not that much $ and it will probably inspire you.

13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    If I had 4 grand to drop (or maybe when I have 4 grand to drop), I'm thinking seriously about a LEJ6 with MIDI....

14. tom5string

tom5string

Jul 14, 2006
    Hamburg/Bremen
    I'd try to get a used Zon fretless 5-String and save the rest of the money ...

15. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    If I had 4 grand, I would pick up a Roscoe 4 string. Even if I went used, I have seen 4 and 5 strings go for 2 grand or less on TB and ebay.

16. Far be it for me to suggest my own gear, but a polyester coated fretless with Bartolini PJ pickups and the new standard 3 band is pretty flexible. The treb boosts actively but cuts passively like a tone knob. The mid is push/pull for high/low mid cut and boost. Even with rounds, it's possible to get vintage P sounds, Jaco tones, and Pedulla tones. All of which are NOT inferior attempts, they freaking nail all of 'em!

Luthier wise, Cliff Bordwell or Chris Stambaugh can build something nice for a very reasonable price. My CB is a 35" scale fretless 4 that weighs under 8lbs!

17. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Wouldn't dent the cash too hard to get your Deluxe P5, so I'd do that first, while your contenplating the rest. As to guitars, and amps, I had some sweet stuff a while back, used it to trade for bass stuff, but kept one Ric 6 string and a Vox AC15, just to be able to play elect guitar if I wanted. Now, even that's gone, but to my son. I'm 100% bassplayer now, and good with that, but now thinking about a sweet Gibson J45 Acoustic, so I know you want some of that, too.

18. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Seeing how you're pretty well set with equipment.

I'd say invest it in studio time, and put it towards putting out a killer c.d. :D

19. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Start a retirement fund.
    If you don't have any other equipment you need to get your dreams accomplished, don't blow it. If, however, you do need something, buy what is within your means. If you love your bass...why get another :)

Best guitar amp I have ever heard was a VOX AD50VT. If you going to get an amp, please...for the love of all that is holy...try this guitar amp. I thought it was a $2,200 Anna. model as did the grammy winning Mix Engineer that was hearing it with me. Turns out is was a $400 guitar amp...

20. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    You could buy at least 25 SX basses.
    Sorry just had to write that.

I'd bank it for a rainy day.