Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4 10 rewiring? or.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rickycootee, Aug 5, 2003.

1. rickycootee

rickycootee

Oct 24, 2001
    Statesboro GA
    I recently saw a thread about this and...

I was wondering how hard it would be to change an avatar 410 cab to 8 ohms from four...I have and ampeg b5r and want to add either another 4 10 or a 210...

here is the other option...my amp is 2 ohm stable so it says...I could buy an 8 ohm 210 and let it get half the power as the 410 and be running my amp at 2.8 ohms is mixing different ohm cabs safe?

or I could get another 4 ohm cab and run at 2 ohms (only for big gigs not all the time) this way I could get 500 watts instead of 350 would this option be safe for this amp?

thanks>>Brian

2. You cannot rewire your cab to be 8 Ohms.
    Your cab has 4 4 Ohm speakers wired in Series Parallel making it a 4 Ohm cab.
    You could rewire it to be a 16 Ohm cab, but I doubt you would want that.

If you amp is rated for 2 Ohms then just get another 4 ohm cab and run it that way. It should not have a problem with it, not to mention you get more power outa the deal which the Avatar cabs seem to like.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    OWP is right. Save yourself the headaches. Just get another 4 ohm cab. If the amp says it can run at 2 ohms, then it can.

4. Well, I think you can rewire a 4 ohm cab to be 8 ohms. Go to avatarspeakers.com and look at the wiring diagrams. You just might need some wire or guy who can do it for you. But if you head can take the 2 ohm rating then just get another 4 ohm cab.

Sorry, just get another 4 ohm cab.

5. yeah dude, OneWayPunk is right.

and plus, if you open up your cab and start messing with the electronics and wiring, chances are you're gona void your warranty, BIIIG time. i learnt that one the hard way...:rolleyes:

Lex

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    WRONG. Not with four 4 ohm speakers.Impossible. Read the diagrams more carfully, and note the impedance of EACH speaker.

7. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    If you have 4 speakers, each with an impeadance of 4 ohms, there are many ways to wire them, but only three configurations that will distribute power equally to each speaker. Wired series-parallel you will get 4 ohms. Wiring all four in series will give you 16 ohms. Wiring all four in parallel will give you 2 ohms.

8. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Um.....wiring 4 4 ohm speakers in parallel gets you 1 ohm.........

9. Eric Moesle, I said I was wrong. I just thought that is could be done. Jeez!

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    No problem, man . . . its all good. Just wanted to make sure nobody else read that and thought otherwise, it seems to be a common question for newbies here. Sorry if I came off too heavy . . .

11. rickycootee

rickycootee

Oct 24, 2001
    Statesboro GA
    hey thanks for your help guys..I think I will get another 4 ohm cab...avatar of course haha laater>>Brian