Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4-10 VS. 1-15 cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nigel Rahmshard, Jan 14, 2004.

1. A quick question.

Currently i have an ampeg svt 350 head and a ampeg 410he cabinet. This cabinet is 8 ohms so my amp actually only puts out 200 watts. If i add another 8 ohm cabinet it will put out 350 watts total.

My question is: Is there a noticeable difference between a 410 cabinet and a 1-15 cabinet when they are added to my existing rig? Yes, i know the difference is big when used seperately. But since i will just be adding these to an existing cabinet would a 4-10, or a 1-15 be more favorable. Favorable meaning better lows, more sound (obviously i will get this eaither way) etc. If it helps to answer this question I really prefer to have a low rumbly, wall of sound kind of tone. I'm not to keen on the treble, i like a bass that sounds like a bass. Is there anyone that prefers 2 4-410 cabinets as opposed to the 4-10 and 1-15 that i see lots of people using.

BTW, the cabinets i am looking to get are the avatars since they can handle more RMS watts than the ampeg stuff. This will come in handy when i switch my head to a rack system with seperate power amps to drive two full stacks. So im not sure if i want to go with 4, 4-10's, or 2 4-10'2 and 2 1-15's.

Any help would be appreciated. And i appologize for saying this was a quick question.

Nigel

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The 115 will give you more low mids. If you really wanna rumble, how about getting some 212s along with the 410s? Louder than 115, and have almost better lows.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I usually use two 4x10's. The second 4x10 will give you more volume, and believe it or not, more lows into the area in which you stand than a 1x15 will (with MOST brands of cabs). The 1x15 will throw lows farther into the room, however.

4. hmm, 2-12's. I never even thought of that. I'll have to look into that. I don't have much experience with the 12's.

5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i would get another 4x10, i think that it would add more lows than a 1x15. but it also depends on if you need portability, if you do, i would say the 1x15 then.

6. Portability isn't an issue. Lifting heavy things goes with the territory. It just makes bass players that much better than everyone else.