4*10 vs 1*15 cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by booch, Jun 28, 2005.

1. booch

Aug 12, 2004
    I already have an Eden 210XST and I want another cab to provide a low end and a more solid sound.
    I used to have an 1*15 Yorkville cab (some old stuff) and I really liked the tone at a lower volume! It gave me the round, full sound I like. However, playing live it lost punch and definition.
    Even when I played the Yorkville together with the 210 Eden cab, it seemed I only have highs (from the Eden) and mushy lows, no definition, no mids. Not that I want the ultra crisp tone, I don't like the typical "modern" sound (where the bass sounds like a piano or a guitar).

Is this loss of attack and definition a characteristic of all 1*15 cabs or was it just the poorer quality of Yorkville? I'm really thinking about getting the 115XLT from Eden. However, if I end up with no definition, I'd better save some money and wait til I can get a 410.
  2. booch

Aug 12, 2004
  3. Sorry, I can't help. I have no experience.
  4. booch

Aug 12, 2004
    The thing I'd like to know is, does anybody here use such a setup (1*15 by itself or 1*15 + 2*10).
    Of course if 1*15 was no use for anything, they wouldn't make them, I'm just curious if I want to have a definite, solid sound, can I use 1*15+2*10 or 1*15 is the best for supporting a 4*10.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    there's no real answer as cabinet and speaker designs vary considerably. some fifteens are very articulate and punchy, others excell at super low end, and some just kind of stink. :smug:

the same can be said about 2x10 cabs, 4x10 cabs, 2x12, etc........

you just have to try a bunch.
  6. with a good 4x10, you should have decent lows without losing that definitive sound you might lose with a 15"
  7. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Tons of people use 1x15s in conjunction with some sort of 10's. I think you just need to find the right 15 for you.

Lots of people use just 10's too. 8x10s, 6x10s, 4x10s, etc. There's no reason why you can't just have a rig with 6 10's in it either. Easier to move if you have two cabs too.

Just have to play stuff to find out what you like.
  8. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    I switched from a front ported 2-10 to a rear ported 1-15. The 15 is an older SWR basic 2-way. it sounds tight and punchy, not unlike the Bagend speakers. I'm very satisfied with the switch.
  9. booch

Aug 12, 2004
    Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately sound is not the only factor in my selection of cabs.
    The thing is, living here means people earn at least around 4-5 times less then, say, in the US. It's hard to save enough money for larger (6*10, 8*10) cabs. Stuff also ends up costing about 2.5 - 3 times (!) its LIST prize (transport to Europe, customs, dealers profit - sometimes outrageous).
    So the only real option is (besides buying an Eden 8*10 for $4000 or so :)) to buy stuff online. However, fridge size cabs cost a lot and transport costs a lot too.
    Right now my realistic options are 1*15 or save for a 4*10. (even those only in about 2-3 months)

Back to cabs, as for the 1*15 I'd get an Eden XLT. I already have an XST 2*10 and I love it. If anybody has an Eden 1*15 + an Eden 2*10, what do they sound like onstage together?
  10. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Coupla thoughts

A 1x15 and a 2x10 have about the same speaker cone area. Each cab pushes about the same amount of air; a good balance.

If weight is a factor, consider that the 1x15 will usually be significantly lighter than the 4x10.

I've heard and sorta believe the general notion that 15's "throw" farther than 10's; 10's will sound good at close range (i.e., onstage) and the 15 will sound good at the back of the room. So from that point of view, the 15 is a good combination with a 2x10.

11. I am a big fan of 1x15 and 2x10 cabs together. However, I haven't heard the Eden 115xlt and the 210xst together. I would hope they sound great together. What amp and bass are you using? And where in Europe are you located?
  12. BigSky Bass Guy

BigSky Bass Guy

Apr 15, 2005
    Just my 2 cents... I'm using an older Peavey 410 TX with the big round rear port (not the newer TVX, ported in front). My PV provides excellent lows... deep solid earthshaking thumps, and at room-clearing volumes, too. I've tried experimenting by adding on a 15 and an 18", but all that seemed to do was make the overall sound be "squishy" and not tight. Those 10s respond so quickly and precisely, while the big salad bowls seem like they take longer to respond to your "fingertips-on-strings", slower getting up to speed pushing their air. It was less than satisfying.

Those older Peaveys can occasionally be gotten quite cheaply on Ebay. Also, I've heard nothing but raves about the Avatar B212 2X12 cabs (but no experience personally). At $279, it's a bargain... but you NEVER see them on Ebay. Ever.
  13. I use Yorkville 2x10 and 1x15 cabs. I usually bring only the 2x10 if there is PA support (because all I need is a monitor on stage) but when there is no PA support I bring the 1x15 and it fills the room with sound. To my ears, it's just as tight and nearly defined as the 2x10 but it goes lower (and not nearly as high). To me it's the perfect compliment to the 2x10, where you've got your tone but you need to be louder, fuller and move more air. In saying that, I'd never use the 1x15 alone but with the 2x10 it works great.

Also, my Yorkville 2x10 and 1x15 cabs are both 350watts @ 8ohms so they get exactly half of the power amp volume, instead of a 4x10 that typically needs more watts to push it.

I'd say grab the Eden 1x15.

14. bmc

Nov 15, 2003

Bass Player did a 4-10 shoot out a couple of years back and rated the Peavey 410TX very highly. The blind folded testers thought it was one of the high end cabs they were playing through. It got high scores. Great cap for a 410.

A 410 has greater surface area than a 115 and will push more air. It will weigh more, but there are some light weight cabs in Europe (Markbass, Tech Systems, Seco). If you shop around I'm sure you can find something. Send me a pm and I'll give you some links to used gear sites in Europe if you're interested.
  15. blindbass

Jun 14, 2005
    A few comments;

If you're striving for a more modern sound, I feel confident in suggesting that a compact, full-range setup is going to be your best all around solution. I use a Mesa 210 Powerhouse coupled with a Mesa 115 Powerhouse to accomplish this. Your high quality Eden 210 with a high quality 115 (Eden for example) will allow for much wider tone variations than simply adding more 10's.

It is my experience that in order to get the same full-range capability of a 210 + 115 or 410 + 115, one must add even more 10's than is necessary, thus increasing the weight and size of the cab. A 15 does give you extended lows, but more importantly, it gives more usable low-mids and high-mids esential for tone shaping: multiple 10's seem ineffecient at producing such frequencies.

Now then, having all 10's (610 or 810) probably allows for more headroom in most cases, but louder is not always better, especially when considering the limits of your amp head and your vehicle.

As others have said, it's a matter of trial and error and taste, but keep in mind that tastes change. Do your research and good luck.
  16. flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Avatar has a european distributor now. I saw it on another website but i can't remember the address! All i remember is that the site was from the the netherlands.

Now if only they could get a distributor in Australia! :(
  17. Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Just wondering if you'd had any thoughts that way.....

I run 12's and 10's and it's a great combination... Lower than 10's but quicker than 15's....

I've heard that the Eden 212 + 210XST is a kickin' setup too!!

PS I'm in Australia so I feel your pain pricewise.....
  18. booch

Aug 12, 2004
    Hey, thanks for the lot of info!

I'll think about all this and get back to you when I finally put my hands on my cab of choice! I'll probably go with the Eden 1*15 though, got to love the classic sound...
  19. pil101

Jul 8, 2000
    Hey, I am currently using an eden 210 xst with an eden 115 xl (the one w/o the tweeter). i am very satisfied w/ the tone and volume. btw, i use a wt400. it seems i can dial in many different tones either low bassy or a more crisp middy sound. i am also a fan of not having to lug the 410xlt around in my small car anymore.