Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4,5 or 6 strings?????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grunge, Jul 4, 2002.

1. 4 strings

29 vote(s)
    35.8%
  2. 5 strings

40 vote(s)
    49.4%
  3. 6 strings

8 vote(s)
    9.9%
  4. more(8, 12 etc...)

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. Grunge

Grunge

Jun 3, 2002
    Brazil
    Well i know that many of you would just answer 6..............but if you consider that it's heavy and not really confortable you can change your mind(maybe).
    So, guess what????????
    OF COURSE IT'S ANOTHER POOL

ahahaha sorry i'm dizzy, "another pool" that's funny. I meant another poll, maybe bacause our weather here in Brazil is very hot, and I was thinking 'bout going to the pool while I was posting this message...

2. A quick tip for ya, you can use the edit/delete icon above your post to fix that.

BTW I'm a 5 stringer.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'm on 4, but I'd go 6 any second if I had the dough.

4. I like a 5. Works for everything I need to do. I would love to have the time to really explore 6 and 7 strings.

Jeff

5. Over 95% of the greatest bass lines are on 4-strings. 'Nuf said.

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I use 4,5,6,8,and 15 accordingly

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Personally, I dig on 4s and 6's. 7s are ok in my boat as well. I use 4s, both BEAD and EADG, I use a 5er too, but it feels awkward to me.

4s feel great to me. However, I find I enjoy playing 6ers more, and that in my mitts, they are more comfortable. Something is wonky about 5, but 6's fix that problem for me. 7s are back to a little awkward, but that's because I'm not used to them.

Here's something that'll mess with your head: play a 7 string bass, and then put it down, and pick up a 4 in less than 30 seconds. It MESSES with you.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

5-string is absolutely perfect for me. I can't go back to 4, they feel incomplete. The only way I'd go for 6 or more would be if I had to sight read, but I don't.

P.S. There is no "correct" number of strings for bass... only what is correct for each individual.

9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    i did try the play a 7 then play a 4 within 30 seconds.... the 4 feels like a toy :eek:

i love my 7, and have sold all my 4s. they stayed in the closet anyway.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    They DO feel like a toy. Kinds weird, isn't it? Man, if I did something like that at a gig, I would be laying stinkers all over the fretboard for a couple songs..

11. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Awesome! It was getting awfully hot in here!

:D :p

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I have only played on 5s exclusively for the past 2 1/2 years... but I find myself looking at 4s once again... I love my 5er but I kinda want to get a good 4-string bass... I like 6 string basses.. but right now they aren't for me.

13. No_Fingures

No_Fingures

Jun 17, 2002
    Boston Ma
    4 string fender jazz......Wish i had one.......god loves people and blesses the ones who own them

14. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I voted 5 because my Sadowsky Vintage 5 is still my top bass. It's an incredible bass.

Although, I just picked up an old beat Precision that has me daydreaming about playing it all the time. And there is the '69 Jazz that I just love.

So 4 or 5 string does it for me. :D

15. I play 4. I tried a few 5's but I found no real use for the B string for anything I played.

16. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Only own and play 5ers, predominantly. I'm looking into a fretless 6er now. And after that, it'll be a good 4 stringer, maybe a Musicman or a Fender P-Bass.

17. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Right on. -Luke

18. I play 5 string only.

My hands are too small for the wider necks of 6 and 7 strings and I hate having to drop tune to varying degrees for different songs, so a 4 string is out. I'm too broke to own more than one bass so my do-all is a fretless 5 string neck-thru... a Carvin LB75FP. :cool:

19. I own a 4 and 5, but I play my 4 most often.

20. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    yep 4 and 5 mostly the 4