4/5 string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gia, Feb 28, 2001.

1. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    Is it possible on a 4 string to tune the E down to a B ? Or whats the farthest you can tune it down while still being able to play ? I'm asking because i have a 4 string but the best bands, well the ones i can get tabs for, use 5 strings. Thanx
  2. Tuning down from EADG to BEAD is possible and is done fairly often.

It would require heavier strings, such as using the bottom 4 strings of a 5-string set, and the nut would probably need to be filed to accomodate the larger strings. Additional stress on the neck would require a truss rod adjustment. The saddles of the bridge would need adjustment to compensate for the larger strings, and the intonation would need to be corrected due to the truss rod and bridge adjustments.

Otherwise, perfectly possible.

3. Other alternatives are:

1) Buy a 5-string.
    2) Rearrange the pieces to accomodate the range of a standardly strung bass.

Lastly, I highly suggest learning to read music. there's alot more out there than just TAB.

4. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    i can read real music. But you cant get real music for the likes of Marilyn Manson and Machine Head mostly. And i'm getting a 5 string bass soon. I hope
  5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    There is no additional stress on the neck. There is LESS stress on the neck.
  6. I stand (sit? type?) corrected. Indeed there is LESS stress on the neck. Unless very heavy strings are used.

Regardless, a truss rod adjustment will probably be required.

My apologies for being wrong.

7. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    B/A ~ What's your current 4-stringer? (profile). If it's like a Peavey
    with a 35" scale, you may be in luck. A while back, Schecter introduced
    the "Scorpion". It's a 4-stringer with a 35" scale designed to be
    tuned B-E-A-D. The B/P review kinda' panned it's tone, but here's the
    kicker: they've come out with a set of strings for it which are available
    at Musician's Friend => http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/010227231819063038115136176332?pid=105005
    I'm guessin' they're stainless roundwounds, and they are large -
    125-105-85-65. They call `em..."Decimators" :eek: .

Another option might be a ridiculously large set of Rotosound 66's (RS66-LH)
    for 34" scale basses. They're meant to be tuned "normal" (E-A-D-G),
    but the set's gauged more like the bottom 4 of a fiver (130-105-80-65).
    Although, from what I hear, it IS possible to break `em (right The_Paste? :p ).
    De-tuned to B/E/A/D, they might hold up tension-wise. They're stainless
    rounds and run ~ $22 at juststrings.com .
  8. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Did Twiggy ever use a 5?