Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4-500 to spend what amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davygravy3, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Davygravy3

Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    I've been playing for 2 years now with the squier bass package and have decided to graduate to a new amp and bass. I play jazz in the school band and I like to play classic rock/modern rock at home. In middle school I was able to use a decent 60 watt amp for performances. But now the High schools amp blows. Its smaller that my pos squier amp. So with 400 to 500 bucks what amp can I get. I am looking at the ampeg 100 watt amp for like 490. I plan on getting a pbass if that matters with choosing amps.

2. Look at the Fender Bassman 100 in that price range, also the SWR workingmans combos. Both great amps, good tones and in your price range.

3. How about a Carvin pb-200? 160w with 15" speaker.

It costs like 420 with shipping I think.

Fender amps are pretty good, SWRs (imho) are overpriced. ($700 for the 15"). Why I say Carvin is it's just good+cheap. something that sounds like describes your situation.

4. The newer bassmans sound pretty good.

I'd go with that, but then again I haven't gotten the chance to play any SWRs.