Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

(4) 6550we vs (4) Kt-88

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by denton57, Jan 6, 2006.

1. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Can I expect to see any real increase in watts when I do the switch to kt-88's in my YBA-200? I've done a search and some say yes and some say not really. Anyone have real bench test numbers after the swap? I'm planning on doing the eurotubes "special" YBA swap with the JJ's..with the 12at7's..for more clean headroom. I also have a BDDI to add to the mix for a little overdrive and boost (into an 8x10.. and a 212 when needed) :smug: . I guess Im trying to make this head into what I maybe shouldve bought in the first place-a 300 watt tube head.

2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
  3. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Contacted Yorkville and they (he) said nothing about performance of kt88s, but said a rebias was NOT needed for the swap in my head, which I found interesting, and a power tube swap doesn't affect their warranty! :) I sent an email to eurotubes about my ideas, since Im gonna get their retube kit (JJ's), so we'll see....

4. From my understanding changing the power tubes never results in an increase in power. To change the power you would need to change the transformers. Different tubes may distort later than others or distort in a diffrent manner which may result in more headroom and/or alter the overall tone.

I put JJ Kt88s in my YBA 200, i find there is a little more headroom. I also find the KT88s to have a smoother transition into overdrive, not as harsh as the original sovteks.