4 - 8 ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peaveyman4, Mar 24, 2003.

1. I have a Peavey Bass head which is 150w and can only output at 4 ohms. ive had an offer on a trace elliott 1x15" cab which has an impedence rating of 8 ohms. Is this ok? or will it cause something to blow?
  2. I dont think there will be a problem...I'm sure the amp will work at 8 ohms, it will just put out less power.

Maybe the *minimum* load is 4 ohms?
  3. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    im pretty sure that if it runs at 4 ohms, it will also run at 8. It just wont put out as much power, as petroberts said.

4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep that's right. you can run more than 4 ohms and all that happens is the amp produces slightly less power. No drama's there.

Run it at less than 4 ohms and the amp will probably fry itself.
  5. from what i've heard, you usually get around 60% of the head's power when doing that, so your head will probably output around 100 watts
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    i always thought it was more like 70% but I'm not sure. Any tech heads out there to help.

Having said that, the overall volume isn't that different. Remember that to double your volume, you have to multiply your watts by 10. The volume drop when going from 4 to 8 ohms is ususlly more to do with the fact that you've just disconnected a speaker cabinet than the drop in watts. You will lose headroom though.