Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4 and 8

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Humabass, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    I have two questions. If I add an 8 ohm Epi 112UL with my 4 ohm Epi 210UL what will the total impedance be? Which cab will be louder or have a greater impact on the overall character of the sound?

Thanks
    huma

2. Humabass

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Can't you just quickly answer my question without me having to wade through mounds of research. I'm very lazy.

3. Maybe he is too. Linking the thread is a lot easier than typing out an answer.

Mike

4. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    You will have a load of 2.67 ohms.

Neither cab will be louder than the other, at least I don't think so. Make sure you have a head that can go down to 2 ohms before plugging them in though.

-Rob

5. And absolutely zero knowledge as to why that is.

Mike

6. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

First off, tell us what kind of amp you have, and what it's minimum impendance is.

Then we can talk ohms.

-Rob

7. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    :rolleyes:

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My opinion, but that's incredibly rude when asking for help. :scowl:

9. Humabass

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Sorry, I fell asleep and missed all these answers. Hey, my comment was tongue in cheek. Maybe I should have put a winky face at the end of my statement. Didn't mean to be rude. I was just kidding around. Didn't mean to invoke the wrath of the Talkbass Gods. ;) Thanks for the link

Peace
    Huma

10. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    R_total = R1 * R2 / (R1+R2)

2.67 = (4 * 8) / (4 + 8)

The 4-ohm cabient will see twice as much power as the 8-ohm cabinet (power = V^2 / R). Each cabient gets the same voltage because they are in parallel so the lower resistance cabinet gets more juice. Maybe not a big deal.

Many amps are not rate to run below 4-ohm. Many amps are rated down to 2-ohm. Amps typically run hotter when they drive lower resistances. Check your owner's manual before you do something you regret.

Dave

11. Humabass

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    My WT550 will handle 2 ohms so it's doable. Anybody have any real world experience with this setup?

12. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    A 4-ohm 210 contains to 8-ohm 10's in parallel. When you run them with a 112 8-ohm cab, all three speakers will be put in parallel and see the same wattage. It may work out just fine. If that's what you got, go for it. The 210s may dominate the tone if the sensitivities are in the same ball park. On the other hand the 12" speaker has 50% more cone area than a single 10". You will not know until you have tried it for several hours with a band and tweaked the hell out of the EQ.

Dave