Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4-Band EQ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by berklee46, Oct 31, 2003.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Aside from the new MusicMan Bongo basses, do any other (preferably aftermarket) companies offer a 4-Band EQ? I don't mean a variable, or switchable midrange, but seperate Low and High Midrange controls.

I like the Bongo, but I think the main attraction is the two different midrange controls.

Thanks!

2. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Anyone?

3. emre03

emre03

Sep 18, 2000
    Turkey,Istanbul
    Yeah, i'd like a preamp like that too. I don't think there are any right now, but may be someone(or some corp.) started building one????? There was someone saying(who was an engineer who worked with EB recently one the bongo project) it wouldn't be hard to reverse engineer the bongo pre.
    Does anybody know if there is, or upcoming four band eqs?(or if it is possible to get one custom-built for a reasonable price???) Because (with all my respect and gas for a bongo) it would be real nice to see other basses with four band eqs other than bongo wouldn't it? (like my status shark 5 :p;):rolleyes: )

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    none I know of, and I've just about tried 'em all :)

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, that Bongo preamp with the two mid controls is an excellent idea! I was thrilled and amazed when I first saw it.

I've played plenty of basses with mid controls, and some of them are even "switchable" (so you can vary the center frequency of the mid cut or boost). My Roscoe LG-3005, for instance, has a Bartolini preamp that works that way. But, I often find myself wishing that I could adjust both midranges at once. The upper midrange is good for "presence" and cutting through, and the lower midrange is excellent for getting a little more punch in your slap sound.

I was actually going to call Pat over at Bartolini and see whether there's any way I can get both ranges to work at once! I don't mind adding an extra control to my bass. :)

6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, that Bongo preamp with the two mid controls is an excellent idea! I was thrilled and amazed when I first saw it.

I've played plenty of basses with mid controls, and some of them are even "switchable" (so you can vary the center frequency of the mid cut or boost). My Roscoe LG-3005, for instance, has a Bartolini preamp that works that way. But, I often find myself wishing that I could adjust both midranges at once. The upper midrange is good for "presence" and cutting through, and the lower midrange is excellent for getting a little more punch in your slap sound.

I was actually going to call Pat over at Bartolini and see whether there's any way I can get both ranges to work at once! I don't mind adding an extra control to my bass. :)

7. I don't think there are any aftermarket 4 band EQs. It would probably be a good idea to contact any manufacturer who produces an onboard equalizer with variable midrange and inquire about the feasibility of wiring one as 4 band.

Or just learn how incredibly simple it is to make your own and go nuts.

8. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    The aguilar obp 3 can be wired up and run as a 4 band eq, instead of a 3 band with switchable midrange. The kit out of the box does not come with everything you need. But it can be made to work that way with another pot. email aguilar for full details. It still sounds great jsut as a 3 band with the switch.

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Are you sure about that? I know you can wire it so that the mid freq selection can be done via a pot, but you still only have three bands - bass,treble and mid at a varying frequency.

10. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    You may be right. if ican find the schematics for it ill ook it up. but i am fairly certain you can wire two seperate pots to control either frequency band and use both at the same time.

Ill look into it and post again.

11. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Any luck finding the info?

12. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    The aggie OBP-3 in my experiment has the variable mid which seperates hi and low frequencies on a stacked pot with a seperate mid volume control controlling the volume of both frequency sets - not a seperate volume control for each mid frequency (don't know how the Bongo is).

Instructions don't state how the frequencies split, I'm guessing 400 down to 200 and 450 - 600 since the instructions state the variable mid replaces swtches 6 and 7 in their diagrams and that's what they are. All you need is a 500k linear stacked pot - which I happened to have laying around so wired it that way.

But you do have seperate control over those bands as opposed to the EMG BQS which has a single variable mid control ranging from 300Hz to 3KHz (center frequencies). And I see no reason why you couldn't use two seperate pots for the Aggie as opposed to a stacked pot. You might even be able to wire in seperate volume controls for them.

Dimento

13. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Based on the aguilar wiring diagram at http://www.aguilaramp.com/html/support/downloads/diagrams/obp3wiring.pdf I can still only see that you would be controlling one mid eq band - the stacked pot is for mid freq sweep and cut/boost.
    The bongo has one for low mids and one for high mids, it's a very cool preamp.

14. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Hmm? So what is the Bongo doing that's any different and what frequencies does it break down?

15. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    A dual pickup bongo has four knobs overall. Master volume, blend, stacked lo mid/hi mid, stacked bass/treble.
    You can, say, boost the low mids and cut the high mids at the same time to get a beefy slap sound.
    I don't have the exact freq's, but from what I'm hearing I'm thinking low is in the 300 range and hi mid is in the 800 range.
    I also don't know if it does anything intelligent like the Raven Labs True Blue EQ box, which boosts using a wide Q and cuts using a narrow Q.

16. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Hmm, well could be you might actually have more flexibility in terms of tone control with the Aggie cause you can increase the low mid frequencies and decrease the hi mid frequencies without actually boosting or cutting the mix unless you choose to do so with a seperate mid volume control. I don't know if you'd get different sounds from determing your mid mix then cutting or boosting the signal as opposed to adusting your mid mix with preset boost/cuts. If the frequency range is 300-800 vs 200-600, depending on how the curves are, that's running pretty close for preamps.

Wonder what the boost/cut is on the Bongo controls? I noticed in going to the Ball site there is basically no information on that preamp, aside from what they're calling it. But the fact is, with the Aggie you have control over lo mid and hi mid frequency ranges with 16dBs of boost and cut. So if splitting the mids into two bands with boost/cut is what they're calling a 4 band, then it sounds like the Aggie qualifies as a 4 band preamp.

17. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    How do you do this with an obp-3? Even with a sweepable mid freq you're only determining what one mid freq range gets cut/boosted, so it's still just 3 band (bass/mid/treb)
    It doesn't sound as extreme as some of the boost available on the aggy, so I'm going to guess 10-12db.

18. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Actually, the Aggie is boosting or cutting the mix of two independent frequency ranges (band widths). The EMG BQS variable mid for example is 300Hz - 3KHz, there you only have one frequency range (albeit a hefty one) you are selecting from and boosting or cutting.

If the Bongo had an optional setup that only gave one control with a variable mid ranging from 300-800Hz, would you say splitting that range and adding a boost/cut to each range is a 4 band as opposed to a 3 band? A bandwidth is a selected width of a wide range of frequencies, boosted/cut or not. Seems to me if you have two frequency ranges you're selecting from then you have two bands regardless of whether the combined ranges of those two bands would cover the same range of one band of another. Sounds to me like both the Bongo and Aggie qualify as 4 bands.

19. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm still not sure I'm following you. I'm not being obtuse, just not understanding. If the Q on the aguilar mid boost/cut is (say) 100hz, then when in 400hz position it's boosting/cutting 350hz-450hz OR 750hz-850hz when in 800hz position. So, when you add in bass and treble there's 4 possible bands that can be affected - but only 3 at a time, and only ever one mid band at a time.

On the bongo you could be cutting/boosting four separate frequency ranges at the same time.

Like I say, I could be missing something, but I don't see how the Aguilar is a four band preamp. Maybe four possible bands, only three at a time.

20. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Actually, with the Aguilar you'd be boosting/cutting the selected frequency from the 200-350 range AND the selected frequency from the 450-600 range. And it seems I ran across something someplace that stated the lo/hi split was going 400 below and 400 above. The Aggie standard specs state +/- 16dB at 400 or 800Hz, so it may only be +/-12dB at 200Hz - don't know. Regardless of boost/cut, you still have seperate lo mid range AND hi mid range frequency controls - in other words, two bands. The only difference from the Bongo (in terms of function) being you only have one boost/cut control instead of two, and boost/cut does not factor into the definition of a bandwidth.