Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4 bolt neck on a '75 Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peabody, Apr 16, 2004.

1. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I'm in the market for a 70's Jazz. I came across a '75 (not a reissue) on a dealer's website. The picture shows it as having a 4 bolt neck. I love Fenders, but I have to admit I'm not an expert in their history. All the '75s I've seen (including the RI's) have had a 3 bolt neck. The dealer states that the potentiometers are dated 1974 and the neck plate SN puts it around a '75 (sn 628620). Has anyone ever come across a 4 bolt '75? I'd hate to call the dealer like some know-it-all and demand he take the neck apart when this is a common occurance. What do you think?
    ...also, if anyone has a 70's Jazz they're looking to sell...I am in the market. I do have a $1700 budget. My first choice is a natural with a rosewood neck, but I'll consider almost anything (no RI's please). Thanks for your help!!

2. '74 had 4 bolt necks and if I remember correctly some of the early '75's had 4 bolt necks as a result of some extra stuff left from '74.

Then the official switch to the 3 bolt completed.

3. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Thanks for the input. I feel better already!

4. ashbory

ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    My '75 has 4 bolts...

5. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    My '69 jazz has 4 bolts:D
    I would sell/trade my '78 jazz (3bolts, maple neck) .

6. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    My '75 (by serial number) has 4 bolts, thumb rest above E string and non-bullet truss rod...all pre '74 appointments. Fender used to assemble from available parts, so transition took a couple of years.

7. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    pictured with Dimarzio neck pickup, no other mods, all original, the original neck pickup goes with the bass, the original (not pictured) vintage hard case is included too.

8. Grr, I want a 70's J bass with a maple neck and block inlays.

But I don't want to spend 1-5 grand for it.

Anyone know any tips to find some fro much cheaper?

9. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Dr. SixString....if you happen to come back to this thread, you have PM....thanks!

10. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Well, maybe you could consider the route that I have taken. Found a refretted '75 with refinned body 'player' for $500. Invested another $350 into Custom Shop '60s pups, a J-Retro and a Fender NOS bridge. Refinned the body again by myself, and bingo - I have a great playing and sounding '70s Fender Jazz for under a $1000.

11. Yah, I picked up a '78 that was refin'd that had two sets of pups, one original set and some basslines for $800.

12. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    KSD (Ken Smith Design) has 60's and 70's J-bass copies- the 70's one looks exactly like a '75, maple neck, inlays and all for about $750.

13. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking for the sound and feel of a 70's Jazz, but I'm also looking at the investment angle. As crazy as it seems, the originals are the one's that seem to appreciate the most. When the time comes when I hand this bass off to my son (if he so chooses this instrument), I want to give him a piece of history.....so he can go sell it an buy a car. Thanks for the input......