1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4 conductor Barts wired to a blend pot

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dougazbass, Jun 5, 2014.

1. dougazbass

dougazbass Supporting Member

May 6, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    Could someone please direct me to a wiring diagram to wire 2 Bartolini 4 wire pickups to a blend pot.
    Thanks

2. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Already tired tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    First, do you want the pups themselves to be series or parallel? Or do you want each pup to have a S/P switch and have a blend knob? Or both pups S/P, plus blend, plus a master S/P that overrides the blend?

Unfortunately, this all needs to be decided by you before anyone can help.

Rob
    :bassist:10001110101:thumbsup:

3. dougazbass

May 6, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    Ok, two questions to start.
    How does Roscoe Bass Guitars do it, typically. No switches, so it must be series or parallel. What is an S/P switch(single pole on/off?)? Do you mean each pup has an SP switch wired to a single blend knob in your second option?

4. As mentioned above, you need to decide how you're going to wire the pickup before you can see a diagram for the configuration. For series, the north coil's positive-phase lead goes to the blend pot, the north coil's negative phase lead goes to the south coil's positive-phase lead, and the south coil's negative-phase lead goes to ground. For parallel, the two positive-phase leads go to the blend pot, and the two negative-phase leads go to ground. For series/parallel or series/single coil/parallel switching, the pickup leads go to the switch, and the output of the switch goes to the blend pot.

5. dougazbass

May 6, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    :woot: Sorry, I'm way to ignorant for that last post. Thanks anyway. We need to break it down Barny style here.

6. Awesome Sauce

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    Sorry, S/P is personal shorthand for Series/Parallel. I think most people use Ser/Par or ser/para. And I *think* Roscoe puts their individual pups in series, then into the blend. However, I know their Barts are proprietary and also quad coil.

Rob

7. Awesome Sauce

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    Ok, twist and solder the red and whites together, then heat shrink or tape them off. Twist and solder the bare ground and green together, and solder them to ground. Black wire goes to the center lug of the corresponding deck of the blend pot. Go to bestbassgear.com for some great diagrams if you need 'em.

Rob

8. dougazbass

May 6, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    Well, it is a Roscoe bass that someone has fiddled with so I have the Roscoe pickups and would go in series.

9. dougazbass

May 6, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    I looked thru the Bartolini diagrams and first and could not find a 4 conductor to blend diagram, so I came here.
    I appreciate your simple description above. Is this for in series?

10. Awesome Sauce

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    Yes, sir.

11. Awesome Sauce

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    And, no, you wouldn't have. When it comes to this kind of stuff, you kind of need to mentally copy and paste it all together; i.e., get the series diagram, get the blend diagram, and put them together yourself. It can help to sketch it all out, too.

Rob

12. dougazbass

May 6, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    Thanks for your help.

13. There aren't diagrams for things like that, because you're looking for an oddly-specific combination of unrelated things. Most diagrams are either for individual things, or a complete scheme.

14. dougazbass

May 6, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    So one wouldn't normally use a blend pot with 4 conductor wire pickups?

15. It's common wiring, but blend pots and four conductor wiring are unrelated things, so you would only find a diagram that has the entire wiring scheme for a bass.

16. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Here is your blend pot wiring:
    blend.

Source A and Source B are the 'hot' from your pickups.
    Output goes to your volume pot.

Step 1 is to wire the pickups themselves as outlined above. You want series, which will leave you with 3 wires after you connect the red and white together to make the series link. You'll be left with Black, bare, and shield. Black is hot (source) and the other two are ground.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  17. dougazbass

May 6, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    It this bass some one decided to solder the red and white together (from the bridge pickup) and then solder to one side of this switch.
    I'm no electronics tech but this seems totally wrong to me. What would happen if I soldered the red (or white) to the other lead of the switch? Maybe that is what they meant to do?
    Can I use this switch in some usable way? There is a second switch that is set up the same with the green and black wires soldered together from the neck pick up. DSC07366.

18. The switch doesn't do anything like that, but if you ground the second terminal, it becomes a coil split switch.

19. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  20. dougazbass

May 6, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    OK so solder the green/bare (seen in the foreground) wires to the second terminal.
    What about the neck pick up? Why did they solder the green/black together on the neck pickup?