1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4 Days in Portland

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by map34157, Mar 11, 2013.

1. map34157

map34157 Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Burbank, CA
    I'll be in Portland, Oregon for 4 days the first week in April. Any cool places to visit that are music related? Whether it be music shops, venues, bars/bands etc...

Thanks

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Oregon or Maine?

If Oregon, check out Centaur Guitars and Fearless Guitars.

3. map34157

Mar 2, 2011
    Burbank, CA
    My bad...Oregon and thanks :)

4. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Feb 16, 2011
    South Carolina
  5. Curmei

Curmei

Dec 29, 2008
    I stopped at Apple Music Row when I was out there last year. A number of Rics in stock and some cool folks working there. They even gave my wife and I some passes to the Japanese gardens up in the hills there.

Not music related, but had a good meal at Meriweather restaurant. Also a very good Thai restaurant just down the street from Meriweather, but I can't recall the name.

A cool, young city... Enjoy your trip.

6. map34157

Mar 2, 2011
    Burbank, CA
    I think the Thai restaurant is called POK POK. I've been to Portland before, I'm just looking for some ideas of what to do from other peeps :) Thanks for the input and keep it coming :)

7. map34157

Mar 2, 2011
    Burbank, CA
    Bump

8. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Check the Portland Mercury and The Willamette Week for venues and events. They are free weekly alternative newspapers.

Not music related but you should check out Powell's Books. They claim it's the world's largest new and used bookstore. I don't know if it is but it does take up a city block.

Lots of other info about getting around town, food, coffee, just ask.

9. map34157

Mar 2, 2011
    Burbank, CA
    Thanks for the info...I've been to Powell's before...Def will swing by there again. Just started researching some of the music spots. Doug Fir, Dantes any other nice music venues?

10. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    The Aladdin Theater gets some interesting acts. Caught Jack Casady last time I was down there.

11. map34157

Mar 2, 2011
    Burbank, CA
    Bump

12. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Sounds like a song title, name of a group etc. You can do something with that.

13. kevmoga

kevmoga

Jan 25, 2010
    Georgia
    Definitely go to Jimmy Mac's - legendary jazz club with a killer Greek restaurant thrown in. Great beer as I recall, too. Somewhere over in/near Pearl District on 10th or 11th. They usually have local musicians during the week and name acts coming through weekends, but it's been 3 or 4 years since I've been there.