4-finger method suggestions

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Mike Goodbar, Mar 22, 2004.

1. I'm starting to take on some students, and I have one college-aged kid who is coming over from electric bass. He uses a four-finger method on electric, and I'd like to move him forward using the 3rd finger rather than tearing down technique that he's already using quite effectively, albeit on a different instrument.

However, I'm a Simandl guy, so I'm unfamiliar with using the 3rd finger below thumb position (I even play electric using Uncle Franz' fingerings). Which are the more established methods out there for the four-finger approach? Rabbath? Karr? Vance?

Any advice (other than telling the kid to get another teacher?)
  2. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I came over from electric bass/four fingers and went straight into Simandl. Since the whole thing was new to me, I don't feel that particular aspect slowed down my learning process at all. Now I just need to remind myself to use all four fingers when playing electric bass!
  3. Nick Ara

Nick Ara

Jul 22, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    That was my situation exactly, Lerm. Now, whenever I play slab, I use four fingers. The slab is fretless, BTW, so it feels sort of like a miniature URB.

I had to relearn a few of the patterns I used to play well with 4 fingers, and that was a bit awkward at first.
  4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Somewhere on this board I have a huge posting addressing this exactly.
  5. Found it, Ray. Thanks!

Now, pass the Visine.
  6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Let me know if you want any clarification, justification, etc.
  7. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I can't find Rabbath or Vance endorse the use of the 4 finger approach in any of their material. Rabbath does use thumb position below the 2nd harmonic to get work done there sometimes. I've read that Gary Karr suggests using all 4 fingers as a way of getting around the heel for stuff, but I don't have his books and can't comment.

Sankey is a fan of the 3rd finger, especially using 1-3-4. If you've got his edition of Simandl you can see what he offers there.