Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4 Finger Picking lesson video

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, May 26, 2005.

1. Just added this to my website - I hope it helps some of you trying to get this down - I'm still working on it myself - there are a couple of pics of how my hand position - let me know if you need some further explanations:

Explanation
    http://www.munkio.com/music/music_lessons.html

video
    http://www.munkio.com/music/Victor/4fingerpicks.mov

I made a couple of clips here that use this for basslines - I improvised these so apologies for the odd blooper note - there are lots of ideas floating around here:

http://www.munkio.com/music/music_videos.html

Funk thing:
    http://www.munkio.com/music/Victor/Cfunk.mov

Cheers

Mike

2. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Thanks!

I am not ready for that but I love the videos. :)

3. Thanks alot!
    It's so hard for me to pluck with index first, though....if you understand, normally when I use three fingers, I begin with the ring finger....It feels more natural to do it your way, but I can't do it yet.

4. This is the problem with this technique - I understand completely - it takes some major will power to reverse the natural tendency to play thumb, ring, middle index - but I'm afraid that it seems to wrok the other way better - but let me be clear - whatever way works best for you is fine - this is the way this works for me - do what suits you best.

Mike

5. I think it's cool that you started posting about four finger technique right after I started working on it. I also have a little trouble going i-m-a (index-middle-ring), since I've already ingrained the classical guitar tremelo motion. I've almost got it. It seems to me that i-m-a is better when your thumb is playing the same string as your fingers, and a-m-i is better when the thumb is on a lower string. I haven't watched your videos yet. I'd like to see if we're using a similar position.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks for the slower close-up video, Mike. It appears you keep your hand perpendicular to the strings with all of your fingers in line parallel to the strings(as in if you were to uncurl your hand and lay your fingers flat on the strings, they'd form a 90 degree angle). Is this correct? I was curving my hand to the side a bit, so my fingers were forming a line that would go across the strings in a diagonal.

7. Yes - that's it - and yes I watched how you do it and if the diagonal thing works for you then cool - I find it easy to keep this going once you get used to it - it takes a while - and as much as I wouldn't recommend hardcore metronome practice - it helps to have something constant to work against - it took me a good few months to get it happening at all well - try the hand position I use and you might find it more comfortable in time - patience is a virtue with this stuff!

Keep at it - and have a cool weekend - it's damn hot here in London!

Mike

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks, Mike. I've been using my metronome with it everytime- it's been the only way for me to handle it with any rhythm. I'll try the unangled hand approach...the way I was doing it was okay comfort-wise, but I had a lot of trouble getting any sort of speed with it.

BTW, are you changing your screen name? Paul can just change your old one to Mike Flynn if you want.

9. Yeah - I'll ask Paul to that for me - I didn't know that - thanks

M

10. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    Hey Thanks for that video! Ive been waiting along time for someone to break down a four finger technique in a way that someone like me could understand!

John

11. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Cool technique Mike. Nice website with lots of info. Videos are always a useful learning tool. Ever considered releasing a full instructional VHS/DVD? I think you would a good candidate for something like that.

Respect

12. Kosta

Kosta

Mar 22, 2005
    You are insane, this is witchcraft! Im gonna try using your technique though

13. Thanks Kosta but it ain't witchcraft and it's still not that good - I'm just trying to get this stuff together and share my progress - try it out but not at the expense of learning the neck, scales, ear training and just playing how you play - this isn't something for everyone, if you know what I mean.

M