4 finger right hand technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DiG, Oct 3, 2004.

1. with 4 finger fingering technique (ie. like John Myung)

how does it work
    do you use
    1 2 3 4 3 2 1 2 3 4 3 2 1

4 3 2 1 4 3 2 1 4 3 2 1

1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4

which works best for speed and what works best for accuracy and sound
  2. by 4 you mean the pinky and 1 being index finger, right?

if so, thats the technique i use
  3. yes,
    but which of the three do you use?
  4. Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    I thought Myung used three fingers mainly. In the Guitar World Bass Guitar Magazine (the nikki sixx cover issue one) there is a short lesson with Myung. He discusses his three finger technique and how to utilize the three fingers to play groupings of four notes (ie..straight 16ths, etc..)

edit... the three fingers he uses on his right hand are the index, middle and ring fingers. He plays most of his stuff using this order of plucking, ring-middle-index-ring-middle-index-ring-middle-index.....
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    From what I've heard Bill Dickens say (who uses a four-finger right hand), go 1-2-3-4-3-2-1. It makes more sense this way as well-instead of there being a slight delay between plucking with your pinky followed by your index (resulting in a gallop-like quadruplet), you follow your pinky with your ring which is right there ready to pluck. Steve Bailey uses a three-finger technique which he plays 1-2-3-2-1, unless he is playing triplets, in which case playing 1-2-3-1-2-3 makes more sense as it gives you that triplet sound.
  6. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    IMO, as far as playing with more than two fingers goes, just go with the groove.. Trying to get a whole system thing down and everything is icky.
  7. I went on to 4 finger plucking following an online bass lesson by Cliff Suttle ('Hang 10 on the bass' is what I think it's called).

I have this mental block thing when stopping and plucking with different fingers: I get tied up doing it like that. So, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, I learned how to use all 4 on the right hand. For each individual new note I stop and pluck with the same finger: the stopping hand decided what's going to happen. For multiple same notes I usually use 1,2,3 as the pinky just isn't up to it.

Not saying I'm too good at it, mind, you, but it certainly can be done. I've devised loads of tortuous finger routines to try to improve co-ordination between all 4 pluckers and their relationship with the stopping fingers. Having my plucking hand floating (not anchored with a finger to pickup, etc) helped enormously with 4 finger plucking.

Good luck.