Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4 finger technique/flamenco sweep

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by phillesh71, Sep 14, 2000.

1. phillesh71

phillesh71

Sep 10, 2000
    Howdy yall, i only play slap which i thought I was pretty good at, until I saw the Wembley Bass solos OH MY GOD. I dont really wanna be sacriligious but you could say hes better - no, as good as Wooten; and 2 finger walking, a little picking when I play Phil Lesh's stuff, anyways I was wondering how yall who play four fingers picking do it and if you could tell me some stuff you did to get the finger independence you initially need to play it, i usually get tangled if i try to use three fingers for more than a measure or so. What are some exercises you use to get that four finger technique? And what are / how are done flamenco sweeps

Sorry about my profile not being up yet I just play a 21 fret beginner 4-string, Im on a tight budget being a Senior in High school, but Im looking for deals on a fretless 5 string currently. Any help there would be good also

I also like to mention that this forum is really cool and I like how a lot of you masters are taking the time to get us through the paces/

2. I don't know if you've heard of Abraham Laboriel.He probably still has instruction video tapes out on the market.He has this technique were he simulates flamenco strumming.I wish I could remember which video it was,it might be "Star Licks".That dude is awesome and quite humble.I found it to be a pleasure learning from his tape.I hope you find his video,I think you might like it.

3. phillesh71

phillesh71

Sep 10, 2000
    I couldnt find anything on Abe except one CD but I may keep looking, thanks for the advice.
    anyways the name of that really good sweep/slapper is Mark King, put a reply down here if you want me to post the hyperlink. anyways, someone out there please tell me some drills for 4 finger technique

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  5. It's cool you mentioned Mark King.I saw a HBO concert of Level 42.Mark did this out-of-the-world solo.I'll never forget it!!Totally blew me away.Oh,JMX,thanks for the info on that video(I know this advice was originally for Phillesh71,but it helps me too.)

6. Oh I forgot,if you can check out the back issues of Bass Player,they had a great article on 4 and 5 strings for under a grand.

7. phillesh71

phillesh71

Sep 10, 2000
    hey thanks for the link

Anyways, you were right, thanks for whoever advised checking out Vics site, and I found Dave Larue has a good site because hes trying to get some more original slap technique out there. Well Ive just been trying to play the third finger every now and then by incorporating it in some John Paul Jones stuff.

Ill look at those basses, I think I found a good deal on an ESP 5 string fretless (yeah brand x I know, but it beats my current brand x) if anyone has played one tell me if they have ok sound in general.

I think I will let flamenco sweep slide until I get a five string. Still, If you know anything to help me with (flamenco sweep) please post a link here

8. It looks like you're getting alot of good advice.The people on this site are really helpful;you're in good hands.By the way,your ESP should be fine.
    Everyone has their own preference when it comes down to which brand you play.Just keep practicing and in time you'll be tearing up any bass you get your hands on.

P.S. John Paul Jones is good to learn cause he was well versed in the roots of rock.

9. phillesh71

phillesh71

Sep 10, 2000
    Hey do you know VIc's open hammer pluck technique? well that makes enough sense, but if you check out his webpage I cant figure out how he plays those quick plucks in the triplet where they are called a flam, do you pop with your index and follow very quickly with the middle finger? thats my guess

10. To phillesh71: I'll have to check out that site.Chances are,some of the other members who are more knowledgeable, will answer your question before I do.

11. phillesh71

phillesh71

Sep 10, 2000
  12. Hey Phil!!!When I get a chance,I'm going to check out that site.Thanks!!!