Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4 hours before showtime!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by vegaas, Aug 10, 2004.

1. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Hey guys,
    I just felt like sharing and asking about nervousness before a show.
    My band goes on in 4 hours for the Fear Factory show at The Rave tonight, and the nervousness is starting. It doesnt matter how many gigs I play, the quesy feeling in the stomach is always there before a gig. The gig can a big one (like tonight) or small one, its always the same. I am not worried how the show will go, I know we will bring it hard, it is just something I always experience
    I guess the point of this post is find our who else is fairly experienced at gigging and still gets this, and to let people less experienced know that this is fairly normal, and dont let it freak you out.
    Peace,
    Vegaas

2. I never get nervous before gigs.

However, when performing, I do tense up when I see my fellow musician friends walking in the club with that sternly analytical look on their faces.... anyone else know what I mean?

Oh, and sometimes I get a bit of anxiety in knowing that we have 2 hrs or less to put together the whole shebang (lights, PA, monitors, backline, setlist, tune up, soundcheck, etc.) Sometimes it's like trying to put 6" of shiite through a 4" pipe.

((sigh))

:)

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I'm nervous a few hours before... then about an hour before, I'm like "GIMME, BASTARDS!"

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I am not so nervous anymore. Especially when you know how much you can trust your bandmates. These days, it's an opportunity to learn more about the band and my abilities as a musician, and to remember to stick to what we rehearsed. It does help to have the club or performance area checked out before going on.

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I get nervous when I see a beautiful blonde in a tight outfit within thirty minutes of when we're supposed to start playing.

I get especially nervous if it turns out to be my wife.

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yes, everytime. I love it!

7. Sometimes I get nervous, most of the time I get narcoleptic and want to take a nap in my car. :)

BTW, how'd the show go? I didn't even hear about it, not that I could have gone. :meh:

8. WHY DIDN"T YOU TELL ME THAT YOU WERE PLAYING AT THE FEAR FACTORY SHOW AT THE RAVE??

my friend had free tickets to go!!

Charlie

9. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Its funny about the nervousness, I think it helps me. The typical pattern is what I described above, and then as the show grows closer it turns into nervous energy. I literaly can not stand still. I start pacing around, getting myself hyped up for the show. I keep going into the restroom and spash cold water on my face and in my hair to settle me down. Finally when show time hits I let it all out. I am all over the place on stage, and feel like I put on a pretty good show. The nervous energy before the show turns into a passion for the music onstage that I think the audience picks up on. I am a much better musician onstage than I am off.

As for how the show went. It was great. We nailed the set and as before, I was totally spent by the end.. The crowd was very receptive, and it was packed. The only downer was that a fight broke out in the mosh pit when the band before us was on stage, so security put the kabosh on moshing durning our set. Oh well. I think we made some new fans, and that is whats important.

10. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes, this is exactly how I feel.

Glad you nailed it vegaas!

11. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I get nervous about the other people in the band. I don't worry much about myself, I have control over whether or not I am there on time or remembered all my stuff. The other guys though....

12. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    One of my teachers used to say, "If you're not nervous, you don't care." To a point I think that's true. I'm much less nervous when I have been ideally prepared. For the most part, I get real nervous before I play, even just for a small group. I run through the program in my head when I get nervous. It calms me down and keeps everythign fresh in my mind.

Travis