1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4 Hrs Before Gig, Bassline Help Pls!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by guitarmv, May 8, 2010.

1. guitarmv

guitarmv

Oct 26, 2009
    Hiya

Just got a 80s Fernandes P Bass, fitted with Basslines, only id is "2G" underneath.

The pots are dime-sized, and there is not much clarity to the p'ups (although it is close to where I tend to keep the tone).

I need to id the p'ups, and wire up some better quality pots, looking for recommendations.

Thanks! Curtains go up at 10!!

2. Why do you need to replace the pots?

3. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    The worst thing you can do is rush something you don't fully understand. If the bass works, play your gig and then work through the upgrades.

In terms of identifying the pickups, pictures would help immensely. If the pickups themselves are active, they will use 25k or 50k pots. If they are passive, they will use 250k or 500k pots. Keep in mind most music stores will only stock 250k or 500k. You may also need hookup wire and a tone capacitor.

4. guitarmv

guitarmv

Oct 26, 2009
    Quick version: I've got a bench, so not totally newb (though your cautions are appreciated), and the pots are 250k on passives.

The reason for the pot change is that the basslines dont have the definition they should have, the tone pot/config seems to be robbing the p'up of clarity, I am assuming it is either the pot or the cap.

Agree that rushing is not the way to go, but I am in Rock & Roll, and I am not supposed to make the prudent decisions you'd expect of, say, an engineer or a jazzist.

5. If the setup is too dark sounding, try 500K pots. Also, perhaps a 0.022uF capacitor instead of the 0.047uF I'm assuming the bass currently has.

6. archer121

archer121

Apr 12, 2009
    I say play the gig with the bass as it is and work on it later. 4 hours before curtain is not the time to be swapping electronics; especially when you're not really sure what the issue is.