4 J Pups Barts + Nordstrands together?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by C-5KO, Jul 20, 2005.

1. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm getting a pair of Nordstrands J's for a six string. I already have Bart Js. Originally I wanted to replace the barts all together, but I was contemplating having both installed together in my bass.

Besides being able to select tones from the Barts and the Nords, would there be any other advantage or disadvantage to having 2 sets of J pups in a bass? I haven't really come across such a pup configuration.
  2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I'm not quite getting this (lack of coffee this morning, I'm sure) ... could you upload a sketch of the proposed p/u body arrangement and wiring diagram? I'm not grasping where the p/u's will be located and how you'll blend all these together - some kind of vol/vol/vol/vol type arrangement?

3. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Arrangement would be bridge pups together, and neck pups together. New holes would have to be made beside the existing pups.

Not sure about wiring. I have a tech/repairman who usually deals with that... I'm guessing he would wire the barts+barts, nords+nords with blends, and have like separate volumes for barts, and nords...

Maybe there's a more economical way (using less knobs) to wire them together, but would still allow me access to each individual pup. This way seems to do it though. I would need an extra volume, and an extra blend. I'm hoping that he could stack the existing volume with a blend (bart pups only), where my original volume is, and add another volume-blend stack, where my blend is now. Or if volume blend stacks aren't possible, maybe volume/volume stack, blend/blend stack? Do these exist?

Also wondering what effect this would have on the bart preamp? Would extra pups wired into it be harmful?
  4. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Opinions? Mr Wilson?

Talked to my tech. He says that he hasn't seen a volume/blend stack before.

Do they exist? Maybe somebody here has line on some I could order. I know I've seen them somewhere. J-Retro is a volume blend, isn't it? But it's all circuits inside.

My firstborn for two of these suckers!
  5. largo

Nov 19, 2004
    If memory serves me right, my old Warwick Streamer Stage II had a volume, blend control with a push/pull too.
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    As to the whole thing of mixing two different brands of pickups, I'm not sure how good sounding or useful it'd be. You'd have one set of pickups effectively out of position - for example, if you want a J sound a large part of the sound is the pickup placement.

Also, a lot of Bart pickups I've found to be lower output so they might get overwhelmed by another more powerful pickup.