Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4 man bass solo - abused Carvin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yowsa52, Feb 14, 2006.

1. I came across this on my space. The band's video is down the page a bit and the bass solo is abt 3/4 through the video.
    Even the drummer plays with his sticks ...ouch
    http://www.myspace.com/nothingmoremusic

2. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    Great band, great songs, great chops, great sense of humor. They have something creative going for them and you can tell that they put time in to work on those live shows. I would much rather bands like this get signed than some of the bands out there, or better yet, give them a show on MTV documenting their search for a record deal instead of the Ashley Simpsons and Ashley Parker Angels of the world.

3. that was some cool stuff. i'm gonna have to pick up an album now.

4. Those fellas really bring something good to live music. Seeing stuff like that always makes me feel like I waste too much time.

5. It's cool that they are trying really hard and everything, it's really hard to go on tour as a lower name/unsigned band for that long of a time. They're trying to bring some entertainment to their live shows on top of their music which is cool. It's always nice to see that sort of thing but it's gimmicky with the drums and bass thing and old once you've seen it before (well to me, my favorite is when the band just gets up and plays their music well). But they have some solid pop/rock songs and all members seem to put effort into their music which is great news so it's not like they're one of 'those' bands that rely on live shows, hope they go somewhere and do their best. But I also can't help feel this was a one post sign up to promote one's/or friend's band with a reference to the bass player's bass to keep it in the most popular section of the forum which is the 'bass' section :scowl: Anyways, best of luck to the band.

6. They really seem like a team. Way to go!

7. The video wouldn't come up for me. It seems like they are a little gimmicky all-around. I mean the bass player is smoking a pipe fer crissakes! Whatever get's people in the door. Good for them!

8. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA

Hey! I smoke a pipe now and again...Usually at home...but I don't think I could smoke while I play.

9. heheh, i think they were going for a fear and loathing look in that video, i saw a bucket hat and aviators in it somewhere.

either way, that band is sick, and that carvin needs some therapy

10. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    That's really cool. Glad to see that sorta playing skill is still being incorporated with some fun stuff these days!

11. i enjoyed that!
    i really liked the bass solo with the drumsticks...reminded me of the funk fingers, only faster!

12. indykrap

indykrap

Nov 6, 2004
    I like, I like. Its not very common for bands these days to put on much of a stage show anymore, which makes gigs not so exciting. The drum circle thing reminded me of an RX Bandits concert, which was gold. And I really, really like the sound of that Carvin.

13. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I didn't see the video, but I really like the 3rd tune. Nice fretless playing there. I find the other stuff to be too generic sounding for my taste.

14. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I dig this band.

15. [\QUOTE] But I also can't help feel this was a one post sign up to promote one's/or friend's band with a reference to the bass player's bass to keep it in the most popular section of the forum which is the 'bass' section :scowl: Anyways, best of luck to the band.[/QUOTE]

normally I am only a lurker, I thought it was interesting use of the instrument. I take it you did not like the video?...thats cool.

16. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    QUOTE]normally I am only a lurker, I thought it was interesting use of the instrument. I take it you did not like the video?...thats cool.[QUOTE

normally I am only a lurker, I thought it was interesting use of the instrument. I take it you did not like the video?...thats cool.[/QUOTE]
    Don't worry about it, you'll find some one with something negative to say in every single thread here. I dig the band and am going to order their CD, thank's for turning me on to them.:bassist:

17. I think it's pretty cool, but I couldn't help thinking about Jean's Mario theme when they did the 'Rhythm Section' bit. I liked the sticks part, too.