1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4 Mic Shootout for DB

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rickwolff, Jan 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ -- Endorsing Artist-- ---3M Dual Lock--- Supporting Member

If you've heard enough of my mic samples - just move on to the next thread

For those (perhaps few) of you who share at least some of my obsession with microphones as a means of achieving MBOL you might want to check out these new clips.

Granted, these are direct to the recorder, but for what it's worth, after I did this I plugged into the Shuttle and the MAS 26 and it sounded very much the same (take my word for it).

This time I ran the Ischell into the Headway and cut the bass to about 10 o:clock and the 3rd and 4th EQ knobs to about 2 o:clock. All the other mics were run directly into the Zoom H6. The Ischell is still above the soundpost, The AKG C411 is over the bass bar, The ATM 350 was about an inch off the table between the bridge legs and the MXL condenser was about 6 inches in front of the bridge.

There are separate PIZZ and ARCO clips.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Slim Pickins and vin*tone like this.
  2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Rick,
    I enjoyed listening to these examples. My preference would b the MXL as it's similar to a Peluso CMEC6
    which is one of my favorite DB microphones. The Peluso is patterned after a Schoeps CMC6/MK41, which is one of the industry standards for recording on Television and Movies.

Ric

3. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    None of them sound MBOL exactly, they're all great useable sounds but for pizz I can't get past that low end none of the pickups get. It has that fast big bottom and gets even more transparent with the S4plus. Otherwise they all sounds great.

rickwolff and Ric Vice like this.
  4. rickwolff

For that big 'phat' bottom end, mixing in the Lifeline might be the answer. I think I'll put that back on and go to my duo gig Wednesday with the Ischell, the AKG C411, and the Lifeline, and be able to blend any 2 through the Headway. (Or if I want to get tricky I can use my 'Y' adaptor into channel one of the Headway to combine the Ischell and the Lifeline and put the AKG into channel two with the Phantom Power).

Another thought is that I have set the Ischell High Pass filter to the default position. I wonder what would happen if I put it back to flat?

5. And don't forget to play in between... ;)

Ric Vice and Povl Carstensen like this.
  6. rickwolff

I knew I was forgetting something.:laugh:

7. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Rick,
    One thing to remember here, in regards to the MXL is that it's most likely designed to run at normal
    48v Phantom Power. The EDB-2 can only provide 18v, so things sound a bit different. Usually the noise floor raises, this happened with the DPA 4099's when we used the Headway.
    Just food for thought. The Ischell apparently was designed run at lower voltages.

Ric

8. rickwolff

Hi Ric,
    I mis-spoke (typed). The small condenser mic I am using is NOT an MXL but a CAD CM217. A really cheap little mic - I think I got the pair of them for $30 or some such ridiculous thing. They actually work really well - I have often used one to mic the grand piano I play with. For a cheap mic they have a nice flat response curve.

Re: phantom power, This mic calls for 9-52v but in this case I was running directly into the Zoom which supplies its own PP, selectable at 24 or 48V, I had it set at 48.

Re: the Ischell, I don't know if the 9v battery is simply supplying 9v or if there might be a transformer or something to raise it, but in either case I have NOT noticed a difference in sound/tone between using the battery vs the Headway 18v Phantom. I alway run off the battery since that leaves the XLR channel 2 open on the Headway for anything else that might need it.

After tweaking things in my 'studio' I am really happy with the Ischell by itself, but I am going to leave a couple other options (AKG C411 and Lifeline) to try on the gig tomorrow. We all know that getting a good sound in the home studio doesn't always translate to the 'real world gig situation'.

I'll let you know how it goes (and I'll be just as happy if any ONE of my mics works just by itself (that's for you Double MIDI) lol.

Attached Files:

9. We all only get older, not younger.

I'm not sure if the CM217 is a real condenser or just an electret, the highly variable phantom power seem to point to an electret, so the power is only used for the FET, not for the membrane.
    But I'm quite sure that the Ischell is just an electret, otherwise it couldn't be so small. If I can find some time in summer, I might mount a simple electret capsule with putty on the top of my bass like the Ischell and check how it sounds and if I get anything useful at all.

Personally I have more mics, contact mics and pickups than I need, but currently still want to keep them all. But I only use one of them or possibly two if one of them is a mic that goes FOH only.

10. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Forgive me if this is the wrong thread to pose this question, and if it is, I'll repost it where you tell me, but, it appears that all of the usual suspects are present: I'm trying to decide between the Headway EDB-2 and FELiX preamps. I want to be able to use either/or my Ischell and Full Circle when I travel without an amp. I'm not known for tossing money out the window while driving down the freeway, but the cost difference is not my primary determination in this case. Maybe size and weight? The FELiX weighs about as much as my AI amp and is similar in size. The EDB-2 is nicely compact. Would I regret going with the EDB-2 when I could have bought the FELiX?

11. rickwolff

I think Ric Vice might be the best one to answer this as he has lots of experience with both.

I have never tried the Felix. I'm sure I'd love it, BUT the cost and the size are detriments to me (especially the cost). I really like having the Headway on a mic stand right next to me.

From only having experience with the EDB-2 I 'Won't Leave Home Without It'. There have been a couple issues with pots getting noisy, but they have resolved that (and the sticking XLR jack) in their latest version. Also, both John and Headway and Gordon with the distributor have been excellent to work with and John in particular (the 'Head' of Headway) has ensured me of his ongoing support for the product should you ever have any problems. He has also indicated that they will (eventually) be getting a designated, certified repair person/shop in the States. If you have any other questions PM me and we could chat by phone. You may also have noticed that Gollihur is now carrying the Headway as well as the Felix. You might chat with Mark, also.

And now, Ric, where are you?

Tom Lane likes this.
  12. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Comparing the two, is like comparing golden delicious apples to mandarin oranges. Both are good, for most folks the Headway EDB-2 would be all you ever need. The Grace Felix is a studio quality two channel strip mic pre amp it replaces the pre amp section of your amp.

The Headway has a very discreet 5 Band EQ. with some overlap between the different frequencies. The Felix is
    a very different approach using three ranges and total control over the mids via Midrange Shelving, Freguency Range, And Q Width. The HPF is a three range switch while the Felix's HPF is variable from 20 Hz to 1kHz

The EDB-2 carries a 1 year warranty while the Grace Felix has a bumper to bumper 5 year warranty.

Ric

Tom Lane, ColdEye and rickwolff like this.
  13. Tom Lane

Thanks guys! I was thrilled to see NO dissenting opinions, and then realized it was a response of two! Still, how often does it happen?!? ;)

14. rickwolff

How often does what happen? No dissenting opinions? If you wait long enough you might get one.

15. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    One never knows, does one.

16. Tom Lane

For whom the 'el trolls?

17. John Chambliss

John Chambliss Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Will be interested in your thoughts after blending the Life Line with the CAD or MXL. I have the Life Line and would like to tweak that sound with an inexpensive mic as well.

18. rickwolff

I'm sure that would work fine, but you would have the issue of bleed from other instruments/sounds (especially if you have a drummer). I don't expect I'll have occasion to try this on a gig as I use either the Ischell or the AKG (or both) so as to avoid bleed.

19. John Chambliss

John Chambliss Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Yeah, no drummer, but two guitars and vocals that can get loud in close quarters especially with two wedge monitors. I may try a C411 down the line. Keep the comparisons coming!